Ford SYNC USB Connectivity

If your having issues connecting your Sansa to the Ford SYNC.  You’ll need to change the USB setting on your Sansa (fuze) to MTP.  It will then play through the USB car port.  Works with all the SYNC voice commands. 

Pretty Cool!

Well of course it would (work in MTP mode that is).

SYNC is Microsoft software.

Heaven forbid they make it operate in MSC mode like virtually all the other new auto stereo sound systems with USB capability do.

I never have owned a Ford. This is just one more reason I never will.

F ix

O r

R epair

D aily

Or F ound O n R oad D ead. :stuck_out_tongue:

So if I use Linux and can only get my Fuze to operate in MSC mode (mine is version 2 Fuze, it does not work in MTP mode) and switch to MTP mode then I will see nothing when connecting the Fuze to the car.

Files on the internal memory cannot be seen in one mode when you have transfered using the other mode.

You would have several other options though:

1. Only transfer songs to the microSd card.

2. Not buy a Ford

3. Get one of those FM transmitter thingys.

I have never owned a Ford nor will I (Dad Works for Chevy) but I do wish I could connect my Fuze straight to the Car with USB plugs, but I will settle for the Aux in, from the headphone jack.

@tapeworm wrote:

F irst O n R ace D ay :smileyvery-happy:

Hate to turn this into a car war but my 1994 Mustang has 170,000 miles on it… and the only thing wrong with it is the O2 sensor is bad (because I drove through water that was 4 feet high). Never had anything thing done to it repair wise besides oil changes and tuneups. All original 8-cylinder goodness.

Anyways, now that I got that out of my system, I wish I could try my fuze in my dads '08 Fusion. Sadly that just got totaled by a truck on the toll road. So I’ll wait til we get a new one and try it out. Thanks for the tip about changing the mode.

How do you change the setting to MTP? Sorry, I’m not very good with electronics. 

Thanks,

Tom

I will totally stand up and defend Ford/Microsoft on this one. My buddy has a Navigator with SYNCH. It’s freaking AWESOME. AND you absolutely DO NOT need to have it in MTP. It most certainly works in MSC mode, as well. If the Fuze does not work in MSC then it’s a Fuze issue… not MS or Ford. Not sure if it would see a card, though.

When my friend got the SUV he asked what type of player he should get since it will NOT work with his Rio Karma. I had him get a 120 GB tiny little USB hard drive that fits right in his console. His entire 35GB collection is on there… and it works flawlessly.

Synch seriously ROCKS. It’s just to bad that Ford doesn’t make a car I like or I would seriously consider one JUST FOR MS SYNCH. It’s that cool…

Message Edited by Peregrine on 05-08-2009 09:59 AM

@mi77915 wrote:

How do you change the setting to MTP? Sorry, I’m not very good with electronics. 

Its the USB setting in the system settings. By default its “Auto”, which is generally MTP on Windows and MSC on everything else. If the Fuze shows up as a drive letter in Windows, its using MSC.

The songs you put on in MSC mode won’t be visible in MTP mode (and vice versa). My guess is the Fuze is auto-selecting a different mode with the Sync than it selects when connected to your PC. This could happen with Auto. You should set it to use either MTP or MSC - try each one and see which works.

I have tried all af these things and I still can not connect to SYNC. I am able to connect my player to my car through the USB port. My Sansa Fuze is turned on and all I see is on the screen (on my player) is says “connected”. From there I have no idea what to do. I tried to follow the SYNC instruction, but all I get is a message (on my car radio screen) that says “no media”. Does that mean that it just can’t read what is on my player? Do I need to change the format type of the music that is on it? All files that are on my player have been downloaded from LimeWire as .mp3 files. All of these songs, prior to transfering to my Sansa Fuze, were listen to on my computer using Microsoft media player with no problem.

Any help?

Thanks,

Tom

@mi77915 wrote:

I have tried all af these things and I still can not connect to SYNC. I am able to connect my player to my car through the USB port. My Sansa Fuze is turned on and all I see is on the screen (on my player) is says “connected”. From there I have no idea what to do. I tried to follow the SYNC instruction, but all I get is a message (on my car radio screen) that says “no media”. Does that mean that it just can’t read what is on my player? Do I need to change the format type of the music that is on it? All files that are on my player have been downloaded from LimeWire as .mp3 files. All of these songs, prior to transfering to my Sansa Fuze, were listen to on my computer using Microsoft media player with no problem.

Any help?

Thanks,

Tom

It was my understanding that SYNC couldnt see songs on the player that were added in MTP. But rather that it needed to be songs added in MSC mode.  

Thanks,

I’ll give that a try. 

@mi77915 wrote:

Thanks,

I’ll give that a try. 

And if that doesn’t work, try putting them on the root  of the player…not in any folder.

Thanks Marvin,

I’ll try that also!!

Thanks,

Tom

I tried both of the above mention changes to my Sansa Fuze, I don’t know which one it was that made the difference, but it works GREAT now!!! 

Thanks everyone for all your help,

Tom

@ginfante wrote:

If your having issues connecting your Sansa to the Ford SYNC.  You’ll need to change the USB setting on your Sansa (fuze) to MTP.  It will then play through the USB car port.  Works with all the SYNC voice commands. 

Pretty Cool!

or, call ford or microsoft. I wonder like what sync would be like if SYNC crashed…

“please turn off the car, roll up the windows, step out of the car, close the door, lock the door, get back in, and turn on the car again”