SanDisk Guru

Re: Flac playing slow w 16 gb sdhc

[ Edited ]

Because FLAC is freeware it comes in a lot of different flavors. Some versions might take extra processing power from the Fuze--which, remember, does not have the resources of your laptop.You could try converting it to a newer or older version.

64-bit FLAC  is not supported by SanDIsk. I don't know if Rockbox has figured out a way to play it.

The other variable might, conceivably, be the class of the card, which governs how fast the processor communicates with the memory.  One poster had a class 2 card, the slowest. My 8GB and 16GB class 2 cards work fine, but I haven't tried a 32GB.

Using the sector checker, the card turnned out fine.

So could someone please tell me a known-to-work brand and possibly model # for a 16 and/or 32 gb that will play flac's fine ?

Thanks!

SanDisk Guru

I have both 16 & 32GB SanDisk brand cards and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever playing FLAC files ripped using EAC from CD's. I've also used Winamp in a pinch for the FLAC conversion and no probs with those files either.

SanDisk Guru

@OP

Your experience with the 16gb Sandisk card is strange indeed.  All seems to be well until you try to play FLACs on it.  All I can say is to return that card, if you haven't done so already, and just get another, even if it's also another Sandisk 16gb card.  Whether it's a class 2 or a class 4 matters not. 

I've used 8gb class 2 and 32gb class 4 Sandisk cards in my fuze to play FLACs ripped from CDs using MediaMonkey and I have never had any trouble whatsoever.  They are properly tagged FLACs without added clutter and with embedded album art.  I just use the drag-and-drop method to get the files onto the fuze in MSC mode.  They're in folders by artist, then subfolders by album.  With the CDs that have multiple discs, I also use subfolders by title and Disc number inside the album folder.

I have sent back the 16, I suppose I may even go for a 32 this time.  These flac files have not been ripped from cd's, however the fact that they play fine on the PNY 8 gig and the internal memory tells me that it shouldn't matter.

Thanks for all the help folks, I'll update when I get a new card.

SanDisk User

This is interesting I  just moved flac that was distorted over to the onboard memory. Smiley Happy