Flac playing slow w 16 gb sdhc

So I got a 16 gb card for my 8 gb fuse yesterday. its a Sandisk class 2. I put everything from my old 8 gb card on there and added some new songs as well, now most of the flac songs (even ones that were on there before the new card) play very slow and distorted. I used windows media player to sync these files over. While im here, let me also ask what the most approved method of getting files onto the player are. wmp in mtp mode or just dropping them onto the device in msc mode. Abd how does the hierarchy work for album >artist > song? Thanks a bunch!

Re: Flac playing slow w 16 gb sdhc

Interesting, I just moved an flac that was distorted over to the onboard memory and it plays fine.

So is there a limit to microsd card size ?

SanDisk Guru

It sounds like there is something wrong with your card.  You can use H2testw to check your card for defects and bad sectors.  Or it could be that when the songs were placed on the card, the files somehow got corrupted.  You could also try formatting the card and just drag-and-drop a few FLACs onto the card and see if it still plays slow and distorted.

The fuze can handle up to 32gb cards with no problems, which is great for anyone who likes to listen to FLAC.  In this case, the more storage, the better.

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

FLAC support was not natively included with the Fuze when it came out. It was added in a firmware update. Seems to me I remember there might have been problems when the FLAC support was introduced, but I don't remember the details.

Does your Fuze have the latest firmware update? If not, it would be worth updating it to see if it corrects the problem you're having.

Edit: Another thought . . . Some older versions of WMP don't handle FLAC. Rather than trying to 'sync' these files with it, why not just drag & drop them onto the card (and/or player) manually?

SanDisk Guru

That's right, FLAC support was added later on.  Smiley Happy 

Before FLAC support was added and became stable, I didn't know the benefits of that format.

[ Edited ]

Ya I should have mentioned, latest firm ware and the issue happens regardless of sync with WMP (added codec for flac) or drag and drop..

The flacs play fine on the on board memory and also on my 8 gig PNY card (both are class two)

I also tried reformatting the 16 gig card.

Guess ill try the sector checker.

Also, whe th files are playing slow and distorted, the whole player runs slow, menu transistions are slow and jittery, as is the scrolling "now playing" text at the bottom of the screen.  Like the processor is being bogged down.

Thanks folks, I'll get back to ya.

I seem to be having the same problem. Sansa fuze 4 gb I downloaded an update for it when I got it a few weeks ago refurbished. 8 gb sandisk micro sd (forgot what class) with two flac albums for testing ran without problems. 32 gb micro sd card class 4 sandisk with my thousands of mp3 and flac and some other file types such as txt and jpg ran slowly when opening music list. Music playback ran slowly and laggy on either file type.

Oh also it works fine on an asus transformer and computer. I assumed it was because the thing doesn't have a fast enough processor which I'd be fine with but I read that it can handle 32 gb cards fine, but can it handle a full 32 gb micro sd card? The cards are also not old. I'm going to try it with a clip+ and see how it goes after it refreshes.

Update: I reinserted it in the fuze and it works fine now. Strange. Same with clip. I hadn't used it for a week and I added more music onto it. *Shrugs shoulders*.