Flac issues on Fuze with OS X and encoding from Max

I’m on OS X and I’m trying to create FLAC files that the Sansa Fuze can read.

I have OS X 10.5.6, Fuze firmware V02.02.26A and am using Max 0.8.1.  I have verified that the player can play FLAC files from a different source (BonkEnc v1.0.7).  I have also verified that the .oga files produced by Max can be read by VLC and play.  My problems:

1. .oga (Ogg audio) files cause the Fuze to hang at the library scan screen.  This is bad.  I’m afraid to even try .ogv (Ogg video).

2)  If I rename the .oga file to a .flac file, it will finish the library scan, but it then hangs trying to play the file.

Any suggestions for getting a .oga to play?

Thanks.

It’s probably just looking for a file extension it recognizes–which would be the long-established .ogg rather than .oga. That may be why it thinks it reads the files renamed to .flac–it recognizes the .flac extension, without testing whether it’s a standard FLAC file. 

I don’t think it’s going to play your .ogv videos, either. 

Why not try renaming .oga to .ogg, just for the heck of it? 

Or…use the encoder that works? 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 04-10-2009 02:17 PM

First, as I pointed out, renaming *does not work*.  While renaming .oga to .flac did not work, renaming the .oga to .ogg actually hangs at the “Refreshing your media” screen.

Second, BonkEnc is a *Windows-only* encoder.  I am on OS X.  I received those .flac files from a different source.  I did not rip it myself.

@bsder wrote:

First, as I pointed out, renaming *does not work*.  While renaming .oga to .flac did not work, renaming the .oga to .ogg actually hangs at the “Refreshing your media” screen.

Second, BonkEnc is a *Windows-only* encoder.  I am on OS X.  I received those .flac files from a different source.  I did not rip it myself.

Can you go into the options of the software you’re using and tell it to use the .ogg extension?  I’m sure there are other encoders available, you might try them if the extension can’t be changed.  I believe the Fuze does not recognize .oga.  I could be wrong.

Google FTW:  Linky