Firmware update software screwed XP's USB hub and USB drive drivers.

Installed firmware update software, updated fuze and everything worked fine. Then, I turned my computer off for the night.

Turned computer on in the morning, and now USB hub and USB drives are no longer powered or recognized. In device manager, they are listed as “Unknown Device,” Device Status: No drivers installed.

Updated to XP SP3. Tried uninstalling all motherboard USB controllers, hubs and drivers, then reinstalling. No luck.

Currently looking for a fix.

This is pathetic. 

I can’t see where or how updating a portable player would have that sort of effect on a computer’s operating system.

Did you update the firmware manually or download & use the Updater?

When un-installing USB ports/drivers and re-installing, you have to re-boot the computer in-between for it to work properly (un-install | re-boot | re-install).

Used the updater.  Boy was I stupid to do that, should have known it would be poorly designed and cause problems.  I looked for a manual method but didn’t see one right away, should have looked harder. 

It’s the updater software installed on XP, that’s what caused the problem. Nothing else was changed other than installing the updater.

I did reboot after uninstalling MOBO USB controllers. No luck.

@maxplanck wrote:

Used the updater.  Boy was I stupid to do that, should have known it would be poorly designed and cause problems.  I looked for a manual method but didn’t see one right away, should have looked harder

It’s the updater software installed on XP, that’s what caused the problem. Nothing else was changed other than installing the updater.

I did reboot after uninstalling MOBO USB controllers. No luck.

Well, I have to agree (at least partially) with you.

The manual instructions are in the ‘sticky’ (shaded) Firmware Update post at the top of the Fuze board where it will always be easy to find and accessable. It actually takes less time to manually update the firmware than it does to install the Updater and wait for it to do it for you.

Out of the thousands of people who post here on the forum, I have never heard of the Updater causing the USB problems you are citing, so I find it hard to believe that it is truly (and by itself) to blame.

However, the damamge is done now, regardless of the cause. Maybe you should try reverting Windows back to a previous ‘system restore point’. That why they are there and available; to turn back the clock if you encounter a system problem you can’t fix. This should restore the system to like it was before this happened.

You are looking in the wrong direction. Try to remember what you did other than installing the firmware updater, that’s what screwed your USB drivers.

A one in a million shot and it has to be this cat…

@maxplanck wrote:

Installed firmware update software, updated fuze and everything worked fine. Then, I turned my computer off for the night.

Turned computer on in the morning, and now USB hub and USB drives are no longer powered or recognized. In device manager, they are listed as “Unknown Device,” Device Status: No drivers installed.

Updated to XP SP3. Tried uninstalling all motherboard USB controllers, hubs and drivers, then reinstalling. No luck.

This is pathetic. 

Now let me see if I got this all straight. You said:

“” Installed firmware update software, updated fuze and everything worked fine. “”

You did not say if you unplugged the Fuze player and that it completed the upgrade and worked or not. Nor did you say if you plugged the Fuze back in and it connected and/or if you transfered any other files to it. So, I have no idea as to exactly what “worked fine” at that point… your computer, the Fuze, or what?

Then you said:

“” I turned my computer off for the night. “”

OK, but you did not say if you left the Fuze or any other USB devices plugged in and/or if it or any other USB devices had been properly disconnected before you turned the computer off.

Then you said:

“” Turned computer on in the morning, and now USB hub and USB drives are no longer powered or recognized. In device manager, they are listed as “Unknown Device,” Device Status: No drivers installed. “”

Things start to get really vague here. It almost sounds like you have an external USB hub that you are plugging things into, but I can not be sure from the wording. Not sure why anyone would try to upgrade the firmware of a device plugged in thru an externa USB hub to start with, but regardless of if there is or is not an external hub involved…

If all the USB stuff in Device Manager was showing up wrong when you started the computer the next day, then the most logical next step would have been to unplug _all_ the USB devices, restart Windows, and double check to see if there were any problems in Device Manager that might indicate a problem with the motherboard itself. If there were any problems at that stage, then if you suspected the Sansa Updater you should have uninstalled it at that point and restarted the computer to see if things straightened out. If not, then possibly have tried a System Restore to the day before you had installed the Updater.

If there were no problems at any of those stages, then plug in one USB device at a time and see if each one worked properly or if one of them showed a problem in Device Manager. It’s very possible that one or another USB device became partially unplugged somehow when you turned of the computer and/or before you turned it back on again.

Instead of checking all of the above, you said you then:

“” Updated to XP SP3. “”

Say what? You installed something that Windows auto update _should_ have already installed albout half a year ago? Not to mention that XP SP3  was well know to create all kinds of problems, especially with drivers on some older computers. I’m not quite following the logic to installing something with the potential of creating additional problems in order to correct a problem that may not have even existed, or could have been corrected first. After (already very likely royally screwing things up) then you said:

“” Tried uninstalling all motherboard USB controllers, hubs and drivers, then reinstalling. “”

Here again, all USB devices should have been unplugged and the computer restarted first to see if Device Manager showed any problems. If, at this point there were problems then you could have had Windows remove that item or uninstall the driver for it, and then restarted the computer to let Windows find and re-install the driver(s) if needed. There’s only a small initial motherboard driver that normally has to be installed when Windows is installed the very first time. The rest of the USB port drivers are contained in Windows and it installs them by itself when it detects that the mother board has USB ports. So, I have no idea what you were un-installing and re-installing for that part of things.

After all of this _then_ you come into this forum and start ranting about everything being ■■■■. Personally, I don’t see how anyone can, or could, help you.

@miltst wrote:

@maxplanck wrote:

This is pathetic. 

Now let me see if I got this all straight. You said:

<–Snip–>

The best way to help this guy is not to. He does not want help he just wants to come on here rant and rave and sound like a complere hss aat (Flip the a and h) and then go away. 

You guys are going to “feed the bears” again…  Play nice.

I’m curious to see what’s up with max’s USB.

µsansa

Once again, capt vague strikes again! Use restore points, etc. READ the firmware update sticky thread, you know, the RED one at the top?

Ranting is one thing, but ranting about a faulty product when you have a faulty computer? Wow…

@maxplanck wrote:

SiS chipset on the motherboard, maybe? Some of those seem to have gone completely cuckoo after Microsoft’s last Patch Day. I’ve seen some of that craziness at the office these days. Ordinary MSC devices not recognized (“Unknown device”), and in one case the system will shut down its video signal as soon as a card reader with a CF card is plugged in.

Just a thought.

Fixed it.  Boy was that a ■■■■ way to spend a whole day + a morning.

One or a combination of these worked:

XP Repair install.

Boot into Safe Mode, uninstall all USB devices.

Turn computer off, unplug power supply from MOBO for a minute or two.

Delete certain registry entries for Sansa Fuze (followed instructions in this link, but only deleted Sansa Fuze entries.  Can determine which key is for which device by opening the key “DeviceDesc”:

http://www.d-a-l.com/help/drivers/55321-usb-device-not-recognized.html

Ordinary uninstall USB devices did not help, had to do it from safe mode, after XP Repair install (could not get into safe mode before performed XP Repair install.) When performing XP Repair install, be sure to use a slipstreamed XP disc for your current service pack number [i.e. has had current SP #(1,2,3) added to it].  Slipstreaming instructions here: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

(works for any SP#)  

Message Edited by maxplanck on 03-02-2009 04:01 PM