FM recordings won't delete

I recorded a 45 minute long piece then deleted it.  Later, when I went back and looked at ‘recordings’ it was still showing up.  I then looked at the folder with my computer and the monster file was still there so I deleted it from the folder (using MSC mode).  After unpluging the Fuze from the puter the name of that recording was still showing up under FM recordings.  Nothing I could do would remove the name from the list.

Deleting files on the player is tricky. Sometimes one can easily enough delete the wrong one, or not succesfully delete it. did you try deleting it on the player while it was playing? Perhaps that might do the trick. Sometimes with voice recording or FM recording the file seems like it is there, but when you try to play it you realize the file is really gone.

Deletion by the pc didn’t work? Are you sure somehow it wasn’t marked as read only? If so, then you would have to remove the read only designation to delete it.

Also, sometimes the listing stays in the database when the file is gone. You can go into the Fuze root directory and delete mtable.sys, the database, and it will rebuild the database from scratch when you disconnect.

@jk98 wrote:

Deleting files on the player is tricky. Sometimes one can easily enough delete the wrong one

I have done that with podcasts, if they were in the same folder, accidentally deleted the wrong one after I listened to one.

Deletion by the PC worked, in that it removed the file from the space.  But, the name of the recording still shows up in the ‘recordings’ list on the Fuze.  It was the only recording there.

@mikeinkaty wrote:
Deletion by the PC worked, in that it removed the file from the space.  But, the name of the recording still shows up in the ‘recordings’ list on the Fuze.  It was the only recording there.

Would Black-Rectangle’s suggestion not work in this situation, ie. delete the database (mtable.sys) from the root directory?

To the OP: You went into a (well) known problem. Look here for a solution.