FM Recording static

Just bought a 4GB fuze and thought I would try recording a FM station.  The reception of the station was nearly crystal clear, but when I activate the recording of the station, it’s very fuzzy sounding.  Tried 2 different stations and the same thing happens.  This only happens while recording and the second that I stop recording the station, it gets very clear again.  I played the recording and it is fuzzy sounding also. This was done after upgrading the firmware, so I don’t know if it did it with the standard firmware.

Anyone else having this issue?  Would anyone be willing to try this on their unit and let me know how it sounds?

Thanks for the help.

Message Edited by John-B on 08-30-2008 06:08 AM

Well that’s one of the first things I have tried recording FM on the Fuze and IMO it sounded better then the org. broadcast, songs too… They somehow sounded richer to me…  No issues here…  I live in the North East in the sticks in NH too… I can hear stations I just cant get on other units… George

George-W:

Thanks for reply.  Upon further review of this unit, I can get good clean recordings, but the conditions have to be right.  For instance, I can’t be near the computer or certain other spots in the house.  At the very least, turning on record must use some additional power or something that takes away from the tuner.  I’ll keep working with it to see what else pops up.

John,

Your you may be right!  Yes if I’m to close to the computer with the hard drive light active I record that static too!!  Just tried it out…  I think anything that can produce EMF the fuze’s tuner is sensitive too so it’s picked up in the FM recordings…Stay clear of all EMF sources and you should be fine.I don’t live in the city so most EMF sources are in my home and I can avoid most of them… 

George

I have the same problem John.

I’m very disapointed… it only happens on the station i really want to record.

It sounds crystal clear until i hit record… then i get the dredded ticking which could really drive u nuts.

I think its a combination of the station being weaker… and the sansa unit recording, must drain power or cause some interference. 

its just so annoying that the station comes in perfect when not recording… bummer :frowning:

Message Edited by Cooloutac on 01-08-2009 10:16 PM

Interesting. I’ve recorded FM and the only time there is static is when I actually hear it on the radio. So if there’s radio static the recording would also be static… and if it’s clear then the recording is clear. I’ve also been very pleased with the FM recording. It sounds even better than when it came from the radio. Richer sounding and louder.

I think it depends on the strength of the radio signal…  apparenlty when recording on the sansa you lose some signal strength. 

unfortunatley the radio show i like to record, on thursday nights, is on a public college radio broadcast, and i must be at the edge of range.

but the fact that it comes in crystal clear when not recording is really frustrating.

Wanna hear a funny one? We get this problem with our thousand Dollar recorders at the radio station. Its usually interferance from another electronic device, Computers, TV, Whatever. ITs normally not poor reception. If you go to a point in the room away from other electronics and try it the recording should be clear.

@cooloutac wrote:

I think it depends on the strength of the radio signal…  apparenlty when recording on the sansa you lose some signal strength. 

unfortunatley the radio show i like to record, on thursday nights, is on a public college radio broadcast, and i must be at the edge of range.

but the fact that it comes in crystal clear when not recording is really frustrating

Jump in your car and drive toward the radio tower, record as long as you can. Dont actually go right up to the tower Ironically you will get worse sound from ever, too much interfreance. If it gets better the closer you get, then yeah you are in the edge of the signal range. But ODDs are that you are experiancing interferance either from other electronics or another closer radio station.

well i know that this station doesn’t come in clear… i actually have to adjust the  wires are move to get good reception. 

but once i get the reception in good…  i hit record and hear the infamous click tick ticking.

Message Edited by Cooloutac on 01-08-2009 10:42 PM

@cooloutac wrote:

i’ve tried all over the house to no avail,  I only notice it on this radio station. 89.9 fm, and only while recording.  If i’m not recording its clear.

i recorded a show on another college station wnyu at 89.1 yesterday flawlessly.

WNYU Has a monster Siganl… Smaller Stations have weaker signals.  And If this is the only thing you wanna hear check their website. Often there are Webcasts, podcasts, live streaming Audio. Play that on the PC thru the speakers, and record that to the player.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 01-09-2009 01:47 AM

ya nyu is great… i was reading on their website… that they put out 85000 wata between 4 pm and 1 pm.   

columbia is not as good i guess.

@cooloutac wrote:

ya nyu is great… i was reading on their website… that they put out 85000 wata between 4 pm and 1 pm.   

columbia is not as good i guess.

Like I said check the Website.

i can record the 128kb mp3 stream on columbias website… but its in mono!!

the station sounds so much better and crisper in STEREO on the fuze haha.   It just ■■■■■ i can’t get the recording to sound the same.  

I’m listening to the station now on the fuze crystal clear… I mean the fuze does have some good reception.  I get stations i never heard of before on here.   and that 5 band equalizer is fantastic, it sounds so much better then listening on the computer stream.

I’m wondering what frequency other people were tuning to that had the same problem… could it be the encoding on fuze just interferes with this frequency?

Im at work now so we only get 1 station. There are a couple I want to try tomorrow. I will let you know.

cool, tks dude would ease my compulsive curiosity lol  maybe help sansa too.

hey what radio station you work at?  Live in NY too?

I need some new rock on my sansa  :wink:

I am at 104.7 WIOT Toledo. I lived and worked in NYC From 2006-2007 and Buffalo June 07-February 08. SRY no freebees not only would that be illeagl but i would need to find a new place to work. There are tons of legal Free Rock Downloads. Try RoadRunnerrecords.com. They will givw you a whole CD if you sign up for their mailing list.

hahah nah i just meant i was gonna tune in and hit the record button on my sansa.

Go for it… I dont talk much so lots of good music. WIOT.com