Exchanging Parts between 2

I have a V1  8gb fuze that I’ve had for a while and cosmetically it’s pretty beat up. But I really enjoy it with rockbox and so I plan on upgrading it’s look by replacing it’s shell  with that of a blue 4gb fuze. But then I thought that while I am at it i should also change the batteries between them, so I get a newer one that will last longer. 

Will I have a problem exchaging batteries between an 8gb v1 and a 4gb v2 (as in compatability)? Anyone done something similar?

Message Edited by Inks on 04-18-2010 01:41 PM

Go for it! The V1 and V2 batteries are the same. The scrollwheel and LCD are too, so you can swap the 8gb motherboard right in. Do a search for scrollwheel to get cautions and tips on removing and installing. The cable is very thin and breaks easily if flexed too much. It can also be a bit tricky to get back in due to it’s short length and tight bend.

Don’t do it! You may end up with two broken players. The Fuze is not easy to open and reclose. The player was not designed for ease of repair. Leave good enough alone, and be happy the two players are working. Don’t try to fix what isn’t broken.

JK98 wrote:
Don’t do it! You may end up with two broken players. The Fuze is not easy to open and reclose. The player was not designed for ease of repair. Leave good enough alone, and be happy the two players are working. Don’t try to fix what isn’t broken.

The OP never said that both players were working. They are also different memory size. It’s possible he bought a DOA 4GB unit strictly for the pristine casing and just wants to give his 8GB unit a face-lift.

It’s certainly possible, given the correct tools and time spent googling and pouring over all the photos & tips others who have done the same thing have posted all over the net. On changing out the battery? That depends on the use and age the 8GB one has on it and whether the battery in the 4GB player would actually be any better or not.

Then there’s always the ‘tinker’ factor. “I’m in here already. What else can I do?” :smiley:

What else?  Custom paint the scroll wheel in your favorite NASCAR colors?  The key issue is to take your time, and if you need a proper screwdriver or pry tool, be sure to take the time to locate a decent tool.  The end result is a Fuze just the way you like it!

Why am I thinking NASCAR?  It’s Monday, and I hear the familiar southern drawl and excitement of the announcers on the television in the next room, talking animatedly about flashing alternator lights and loose transponders that need fixin’.  Nice to hear those V8s snarl, but midday on Monday? I hope you race fans have the Tivo programmed, sounds like some good action.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you for all the input. My battery is 2 years old and the blue sansa fuze was bought a month ago and is rarely used, so I think a battery exchange would help (especially since i use rockbox). Does anyone have links to pages that might help with the disassembly besides the anythingbutipod page?