Easiest program to rip cds to FLAC?

Tried Media Monkey. Never could get it to work. It puts all the files in red and says please change the duplicate file names. Tried to change them - never found out how. Terrible  program for a computer newbie.

Can’t get Winamp to do it! It wants to do everything except rip my cd.

Love the Real Player that came with computer. So easy. Unfortunately my version doesn’t do FLAC. Only “high quality” MP3 is possible (there is no such thing as high quality MP3 to my ears). Need to check if theres an update for FLAC.

Don’t care about playlists, downloading, video,etc.

Who has the most straight forward ripper?

Bought the Fuze to explore retiring home cd player for computer based music server withoutboard dac. Fuze has saved me a lot of money.  This is no where as simple as TIVO satelite TV recording. It should be. Love the Fuze though.

thanks

barondla

Try Exact Audio Copy

@joechip wrote:
Try Exact Audio Copy

I agree EAC is the best (I use EAC+REACT), but it defintely not the easiest.  For accurate ripping, EAC and dBPoweramp are the options.  For simplicity, Winamp is really good.

For someone just getting into ripping audio, I would suggest FreeRIP 

It’s easy and pretty intuitive and supports all the major formats (mp3, ogg, FLAC, wma)

Nothing special, but it is easy… :smiley:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

It’s easy and pretty intuitive and supports all the major formats (mp3, ogg, FLAC, wma)

I just downloaded this, and finally, a free way to rip LAME VBR MP3!!! If I’d only had this last fall before I re-ripped my whole collection to VBR WMA…lol. No way I’m doing the whole collection again. Thanks for the tip GB:smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I just downloaded this, and finally, a free way to rip LAME VBR MP3!!! If I’d only had this last fall before I re-ripped my whole collection to VBR WMA…lol. No way I’m doing the whole collection again. Thanks for the tip GB:smiley:

Glad to be of service.  I’ve gotten a TON of great tips and program links from this forum.  I’m glad that I can finally return the favor.

CDex 1.70 (Beta 2) from http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Cdex looks pretty good. But kinda old. Does it do everything you want it to?

If you use KDE (which is available to Windoze, Mac OS X, and Linux), you can insert a CD, open Konqueror, and go to audicocd:/ and from there drag the FLAC directory to where ever you wish to rip to. You may also visit http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html to download a free set of FLAC tools to use to rip your CD to FLAC (or convert your other files to FLAC) (available for Windoze, Mac OS X, and Linux).

FreeRip is easy to use! Converted cd to FLAC and placed it on desk top. Used Holly Cole cd. Selected file and copied to my uSD card thru micro usb adapter. All easy. But the Fuze won’t play it! Fuze has newest firmware update V02.01.17a.

When I put card into Fuze it shows Holly Cole “Temptation”. Fuze shows 57.01 total time. It quickly alternates between 57:01 and 00:00. The Fuze display also says multitrack. Ripped whole album, is this correct? Fuze stays in pause mode and won’t play. I have no songs on internal memory. Fuze doesn’t work this way on my mp3 files. The computer will play the files as FLAC and flac is in the file names. So close. Help?

thanks

barondla

@barondla wrote:

FreeRip is easy to use! Converted cd to FLAC and placed it on desk top. Used Holly Cole cd. Selected file and copied to my uSD card thru micro usb adapter. All easy. But the Fuze won’t play it! Fuze has newest firmware update V02.01.17a.

When I put card into Fuze it shows Holly Cole “Temptation”. Fuze shows 57.01 total time. It quickly alternates between 57:01 and 00:00. The Fuze display also says multitrack. Ripped whole album, is this correct? Fuze stays in pause mode and won’t play. I have no songs on internal memory. Fuze doesn’t work this way on my mp3 files. The computer will play the files as FLAC and flac is in the file names. So close. Help?

thanks

barondla

Sorry to say, it’s not your fault.  I tested out a couple of albums with freerip as well, using FLAC.  They were fine on the PC, but also would not play with the fuze.  I ran the said files through the FLAC front end and it came back with lots of various errors.  After running the FLAC files through the FLAC front end all the files played perfectly on the fuze.  I suspect that FreeRip is probably adding ID tags instead of Vorbis Comments which is causing an issue with the fuze.  But, the end result is the same…FreeRip and the Fuze don’t seem to like each other.

I appologize for this.  I had used this program with mp3’s without incident, but never really played around with it much with FLAC files.

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 02-15-2009 03:37 PM

No problem fuze_owner-GB. Wish I was doing something wrong so program would work. Some questions?

1. Have FLAC frontend. What is it for? Would it rip cd to FLAC on its own? Didn’t play with it because the FreeRip looked more promising last night.

2. Running FreeRip thru FLAC frontend works with Fuze? May just go that route then. Just want a few albums for now to get a feel of Fuze sound quality at max. Guessing the album/artist tags won’t be there?

3. Any other easy programs to try for FLAC or other lossless codecs? Would like the tags to work.

4. Says your fav codec is Ogg Vorbis V2. Is that lossless with tags?

Sorry for all the questions. Still trying to get a handle on computer music. MP3s are easy. Just don’t like the sound of lossy compression (even at 320).

thanks

barondla

After playing around with it myself, I don’t think FLAC is necessary on a Fuze or Clip unless you have outstanding headphones and ears…great vs. ordinary headphones make more of a difference than FLAC vs. well-encoded lossy any day, IMHO :smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:
After playing around with it myself, I don’t think FLAC is necessary on a Fuze or Clip unless you have outstanding headphones and ears…great vs. ordinary headphones make more of a difference than FLAC vs. well-encoded lossy any day, IMHO :smiley:

Definitely agree on every point.  I think wave or Flac is overkill on the fuze or clip.  Lossy ogg or high-bite rate mp3 sound perfectly acceptable with the fuze, IMHO.

Just to clarify… the FLAC front-end is just an encoder, not a ripper.  If you still feel the need to encode to flac, rip your CD’s to wave then encode using the FLAC front-end encoder.  Or use EAC that has the ability to encode to FLAC as well.  Like Marvin says, unless you have exceptional headphones, the difference between FLAC and ogg or high-bit rate mp3 is minimal.

When you talk about high bit rate mp3’s what is the minimum for a exseptable bit rate to get some nice sounding mp3’s IYO?

I have not yet really compared. I have most at 128 and a few at 190 and one or two at 256 bit rate…  With out comparing the same CD or song it’s hard for me to tell a real difference… I’m using some Sony ear buds I got at Walmart for $40 bucks… Thanks! George

@george_w wrote:

When you talk about high bit rate mp3’s what is the minimum for a exseptable bit rate to get some nice sounding mp3’s IYO?

I have not yet really compared. I have most at 128 and a few at 190 and one or two at 256 bit rate…  With out comparing the same CD or song it’s hard for me to tell a real difference… I’m using some Sony ear buds I got at Walmart for $40 bucks… Thanks! George

If you’re ripping with WMP and don’t have the option of VBR, then 192 is a decent compromise between sound vs. size, I think…but for example, if you buy an MP3 download off of Amazon, for example, they’re 256…and sound quite good.

I have stopped worrying quite so much about file size and more about sound because I’ve realized I don’t listen to all the songs all the time, so if I’m only carrying around 320 songs on my 2GB Clip, that’s enough.  My Fuze is loaded right up(2,252 songs, less than 300MB free outta 12GB), but I don’t necessarily listen to everything that’s on it all the time.

To really appreciate FLAC, connecting the Fuze to a stereo system or quality headphones is a must.  Of course, I would love to have a listen using something like the Shure E4 IEMs.

There are some outstanding monitors out there.

The Sansa Fuze and Clip have made portable high quality quite simple.  In the home, one can enjoy a listen without having to be tethered to the home stereo system.

The beauty of these machines is that you can load either format.  I really like the Rhapsody service, and being able to load a favorite album so easily, especially since the originals in my vinyl collection aren’t nearly as conveniently accessed.  This is in 160kb/s wma format; I find it comparable to 192kb/s MP3, which I use for my CDs.

FLAC experiments are going to be fun.  The file particulars are going to be interesting, as I’ve seen that Ogg files need Vorbis Comments only- ID3 data messes up the works on those files.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks guy’s for the replies! I think I’ll download one of the free programs for ripping so I can hear how VBR’s sound as well as other file formats… It will be 192 bit rate form now on if I stick with mp3’s… I don’t mind re ripping some music if I can decide the ultimate format to use… I like the universal standard of mp3’s but if there’s another format that looks to be going in the same direction with better sound I’ll go with that…  George

@neutron_bob wrote:

To really appreciate FLAC, connecting the Fuze to a stereo system or quality headphones is a must.  Of course, I would love to have a listen using something like the Shure E4 IEMs.

There are some outstanding monitors out there.

The Sansa Fuze and Clip have made portable high quality quite simple.  In the home, one can enjoy a listen without having to be tethered to the home stereo system.

The beauty of these machines is that you can load either format.  I really like the Rhapsody service, and being able to load a favorite album so easily, especially since the originals in my vinyl collection aren’t nearly as conveniently accessed.  This is in 160kb/s wma format; I find it comparable to 192kb/s MP3, which I use for my CDs.

FLAC experiments are going to be fun.  The file particulars are going to be interesting, as I’ve seen that Ogg files need Vorbis Comments only- ID3 data messes up the works on those files.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I Have Shure SCL5(They Renamed the E Series) and with ogg format the sound is as close to being in the studio as I have ever experianced. Keep in mind I am pretty sure my SCL5’s would make a Stray Cat in heat getting run over by a train sound like a Beethoven symphony.

@george_w wrote:

Thanks guy’s for the replies! I think I’ll download one of the free programs for ripping so I can hear how VBR’s sound as well as other file formats… It will be 192 bit rate form now on if I stick with mp3’s… I don’t mind re ripping some music if I can decide the ultimate format to use… I like the universal standard of mp3’s but if there’s another format that looks to be going in the same direction with better sound I’ll go with that…  George

George, if you try the FreeRip, that was mentioned earlier in this thread, the MP3 is pretty easy to set up. Once you get to the Settings, and get it to Encoding MP3…choose VBR, and below it says VBR/ABR quality…0-9 are your choices, with 0 being best quality/biggest size, and 9 being lowest/smallest. Tinker with that to find your happy medium :smiley: