Don't see same root directory in Ubuntu Linux as in Windows

I was at work and had a 1.3 gb file to bring home.  The only portable device I had handy that has that kind of storage capacity was my Sansa Fuze. I popped it into the USB port of the Windows computer and viola there it was listed as a drive.  Within that drive were two directories named (I’m working from memory here so these may not be quite right) “data” and “media”.  “media” contains familiar music stuff like “Music”, “Podcasts” etc.  I wasn’t allowed to copy the file into that dir, but I was allowed to copy it into “data”.  So far so good.

At home I popped the Sansa Fuze into the USB port of my Ubuntu machine. Viola, the player appeared as a drive. But now the “root” of that drive is just the “media” folder, i.e. I can only see stuff in the media folder as if that were the root of the drive.

A little googling later I learn there’s are two USB modes, “MTP” and “MSC”. I disconnect the Fuze, find the USB settings in the Fuze for “MSC” and set it to that mode.  I plug it back in and now the icon looks different, but the contents of the drive look the same, i.e. no “data” directory and I can’t get that the file I need.

So the result is that the file I want is somewhere in there but I can’t get to it.

I’m a newb at all this, but I got the impression that the output of lsusb is sometimes helpful in this situation, so here it is:

Bus 003 Device 007: ID 0781:74c3 SanDisk Corp.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c03d Logitech, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0d3d:0001 Tangtop Technology Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Any help is appreciated.

Do you have an SD card installed in your Fuze?

If I understand this device correctly the “data” folder you’re seeing in Windows is for the SD card.

I’m also running Ubuntu Karmic, but I don’t have an SD card installed in my Fuze and I’m just getting one

“drive” /media/SANSA FUZE.