Don't overthink your Fuze

@flyingscool wrote:

“Forget about line-in to your car stereo and all that, and just use it as a portable audio player and all that,…”

I’m confused.  Before I came here and read all this stuff, I plugged my fuze into my car stereo through a cassette converter and it worked great.  My old stealth used to have a 1/8th in stereo jack, and I’m sure with a sj-sj cable it would work fine with that as well.

What did bdb mean by this statement?  Why do you need a line out?  Why would I listen to my headphones AND need a line out at the same time?

Thanks,

Tom

Not sure what he meant by that either.   I guess he’s advocating fewer features for the sake of simplicity.

Anyway, the issue with line-out is not that you would use it at the same time as headphones.  You would use one or the other depending on the situation.  Line-out and headphone out are electrically different (different voltages and impedance).  Whenever line-in is available, you will have much better results with a line level source than a headphone source.

Your cassette addapter proably compensates somewhat for the difference.  But if you try plugging your Fuze’s headphone output into a line-in on your home stereo, you’ll notice that the volume will seem very low compared to other line-level sources (like a CD player). With most players, sound quality is also inferior over headphone output (because you have to max out the volume to get a decent level).  Luckilly the Fuze’s SQ is extremely good even at full volume, so it’s not too much of a problem.