Disc number sorting doesn't work

In the latest firmware update it said that disc number sorting was added. But the problem is that it doesn’t seem to work.

I tag my albums like below and that’s how it shows up on media players:

Track 1/8, Disc 1/2

Track 8/8, Disc 1/2

Track 1/8, Disc 2/2

Track 8/8, Disc 2/2

But on the Sansa Fuze or Clip it shows up like:

Track 1/8, Disc 1/2

Track 1/8, Disc 2/2

Track 2/8, Disc 1/2

Track 2/8, Disc 2/2

And so on.

Will this problem be adressed in the firmware?

Try tagging your albums disc / track instead of track / disc.

So Disc 1/2 ; Track 1/8

Cheers

Roland

Hello,

I tag my albums like below and that’s how it shows up on media players:

Track 1/8, Disc 1/2

Track 8/8, Disc 1/2

Track 1/8, Disc 2/2

Track 8/8, Disc 2/2

I use a lot of multiple disk mp3s and with my Fuze this works. But I have taged them like this:

Track 1, Disk 1

Track 2, Disk 1

Track 3, Disk 1

…

Track 1, Disk 2

Track 2, Disk 2

…

Perhaps the “1/2” is not recognized by the Fuze?

Ciao banty

@didgeweb wrote:

So Disc 1/2 ; Track 1/8

Cheers

Roland

They are separate tags with the disc inherently higher priority for sorting (in theory).  If the ripper or tagger is automatically filling them in it isn’t even in your control what order they are added.

@banty wrote:

Perhaps the “1/2” is not recognized by the Fuze?

Ciao banty

I have retagged my audiobooks to get rid of that notation because it gave unpredictable results.

Both track numbers and disc numbers i tag as single numbers now and it seems to work fine.

The number on the right side of the slash (in the track tag) is the number of tracks. So 1/8 means the first song of eight songs on that disk. It doesn’t mean disk one track eight.

There is a completely separate disk number tag that AFAIK the Fuze doesn’t recognize.

I usually tag the second disk track number to include the disk number time 100. So disk two track three would be 203. There’s no need to do this for the first disk. Its probably not the best way to do it (every device should recognize album though they often don’t), but its something that everything recognizes. If I had a lot of multi-disk albums, it’d be a huge bother I suppose.

Message Edited by bdb on 03-30-2009 10:34 AM

Don’t use the slashes. I find the best numbering for tracks is to use mp3tag’s Auto-Numbering Wizard with leading zeros (the second option), so tracks come out 01, 02, 03, etc. No confusion for the Sansa’s little brain. 

@didgeweb wrote:

So Disc 1/2 ; Track 1/8

Cheers

Roland

What do you mean by that?

@c1u31355 wrote:
Don’t use the slashes. I find the best numbering for tracks is to use mp3tag’s Auto-Numbering Wizard with leading zeros (the second option), so tracks come out 01, 02, 03, etc. No confusion for the Sansa’s little brain. 

I like using slashes because it’s the short way of saying “__ out of __”. It also looks a lot neater. Also doesn’t the fuze sort by the first digits and ignores the slash of the track tag so it wouldn’t matter if there was or not? I’m not going through 1000+ songs of retagging in a format I don’t even like.

I can’t get disc numbering to work either. I’m using the ogg format, and my files are automatically numbered (track and disc) by SoundJuicer. I have also tried editing them in easyTag, but this did not make a difference.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello,

I like using slashes because it’s the short way of saying “__ out of __”. It also looks a lot neater. Also doesn’t the fuze sort by the first digits and ignores the slash of the track tag so it wouldn’t matter if there was or not? I’m not going through 1000+ songs of retagging in a format I don’t even like.

In software the field “disk” is a _number_. A number cannot contain a slash. Point.

You have tagged your files in a non conform way so you have to deal with it. The problem seems to be the software you used to tag your files. That one should not allow non-numbering characters in the number fields. I cannot see an error in the firmware of the Fuze, sorry.

Ciao banty

@banty wrote:

Hello,

In software the field “disk” is a _number_. A number cannot contain a slash. Point.

You have tagged your files in a non conform way so you have to deal with it. The problem seems to be the software you used to tag your files. That one should not allow non-numbering characters in the number fields. I cannot see an error in the firmware of the Fuze, sorry.

Ciao banty

Both winamp and itunes recognizes the slash and orders it. Or maybe that’s because slashes are only recognizable in the track field?

@d_headshot wrote:

@banty wrote:

Hello,

Ciao banty

Both winamp and itunes recognizes the slash and orders it. Or maybe that’s because slashes are only recognizable in the track field?

Dont take this the wrong way, but I feel like it needs to be said. Just because Winamp and Itunes do something, doesnt mean the fuze can. I mean the programs I use will play gapless but the fuze wont, they will read any tag version, the fuze wont. Just because the slash works on your PC does not mean the fuze will recognize them. Keep in mind how pickey the fuze is with things other than music, its the same way with tags.

It seems that the disc numbering only works with MP3 files at present, the support for .ogg files has not been updated.

I am hoping this will be fixed in the new firmware due about now, it will be probably my biggest missing feature.

@conversionbox wrote:

@d_headshot wrote:

@banty wrote:

Hello,

Ciao banty

Dont take this the wrong way, but I feel like it needs to be said. Just because Winamp and Itunes do something, doesnt mean the fuze can. I mean the programs I use will play gapless but the fuze wont, they will read any tag version, the fuze wont. Just because the slash works on your PC does not mean the fuze will recognize them. Keep in mind how pickey the fuze is with things other than music, its the same way with tags.

Wouldn’t it read the first character at least though? If I have songs with the disc tag 1/2, it should read the 1 like it does when displaying track info. If I have songs with the disc tag 2/2, it should read the 2 and put them after the songs with the 1/2 tag.