Disappointed in Sansa support - broken headphones

I purchased a Fuze 2GB 2 weeks ago. The headphones are broken in the sense that 1 of the channel wires is broken (sometimes makes contact, sometimes doesn’t). I used the E-Box thing and they tell me that the headphones are an “accessory”. This despite the fact that they’re shipped in the package with the Fuze.

I love the concept of the Fuze and it works well with other headphones, but I think this support incident is enough to get me to return it. Buyer beware from such a cheap company.

Message Edited by cdipierr on 02-12-2009 11:35 AM

@cdipierr wrote:

I purchased a Fuze 2GB 2 weeks ago. The headphones are broken in the sense that 1 of the channel wires is broken (sometimes makes contact, sometimes doesn’t). I used the E-Box thing and they tell me that the headphones are an “accessory”. This despite the fact that they’re shipped in the package with the Fuze.

I love the concept of the Fuze and it works well with other headphones, but I think this support incident is enough to get me to return it. Buyer beware from such a cheap company.

Be sure the earphones are being plugged in ALL THE WAY.   The jack has a very tight fit.  It’s common that people report this issue.   If that’s not the issue.   then call Sansa’s Support and you should get assisted quickly.

The headphones are not covered is what they mean. They wont replace something that is not part of the warranty. Which covers your player, not other stuff. This would be like me calling SanDisk and complaining because the external case I bought broke, its not the player they can do nothing. The headphones that come with the fuze tend to be less than bad in terms of quailty. My suggestion Keep the Fuze go out and get a pair of $10 headphones, you still paid $50 - $70 less than you would have for an ipod (and no apple wont replace headphones either). If you want a good set of headphones SkullCandy has a few pairs for $20 (In the US at least IDK about over seas).

@niko_sama wrote:

@cdipierr wrote:

Be sure the earphones are being plugged in ALL THE WAY.   The jack has a very tight fit.  It’s common that people report this issue.   If that’s not the issue.   then call Sansa’s Support and you should get assisted quickly.

Niko they said they made contact and got no help. 

True, but connecting via voice is always better than email.     Also you could exchange a defective product with many retailers.    See if you can go back to where you purchased it and exchange it.  

Yes, I’ll probably just return it at Best Buy in the end. That’s fine, but I don’t see why they should have to deal with it when it’s Sandisk’s fault to start with. As for the accessory distinction, I think that’s a pretty fine line. it’s one thing if they were thrown in the bag by the Best Buy folks or something, but they’re packaged in the same plastic blister pack as the Fuze. To me that makes it part of the product. Additionally, this is a hassle for me because I didn’t open the package with the thought in mind that I’d be returning it. I can tape it back up and all, argue my case and then see if they actually have another (they only had 1 in stock last time), but in the end I’m left with a hollow feeling about the quality of Sansa products. True, it’s cheaper than an iPod or Zune, but it’s not a lot better value than some other players out there.

One thing to try First, Its something I nonly thought about when reading your second post, Do you have other headphones laying around, make sure they are in all the way (Push HARD), and test it out with headphones you know work. IF these have the same issue then you actually have a defective player and its warrantied. If not I am telling you that it is really a spectacular player and that you should just pick up some new and better headphones to use with it. You will find that most of the people on here use a 3rd party headphone because the ones they give you dont do your music Justice.

Did you check to make sure you are plugging it in all the way?    This might sound too simple, but its something you should check.   There maybe nothing wrong with them.   push them in till the jack is flush with the fuze.   You might even hear a click/snap  as it securely goes all the way in.

The headphones and the wires are that flimsy and easily broken SanDisk would lose all profits rom selling the Fuze if they replaced the earphones every time they were broken.

If the Fuze goes faulty it is easy to distinguish if it has suffered excess stress (ie being dropped) or water damage.

I have a pair of Sony headphones that I have been using with the Fuze, I have no idea where they came from but they were sitting at home on the ‘clutter’ table. I have been using them for 6 weeks now. Longest lasting pair of headphones I have ever had.

I used to buy el-cheapos because ‘the wire always breaks’, I have changed my attitude. I now think the wire breaks because they are cheapos. If/when the Sony’s break I will be investing more than I usually do… besides that they sound better than ANY cheapo I have ever used. I use them when playing games on my PC now too.

To the folks suggesting it’s not plugged in all the way, yes I see they can be partially plugged easily, but this is not the case.

Yes, other headphones work fine. I own several sets of pretty decent over the ear ones, but no other earbuds and was figuring the ones that (and this is the key) came with the device would not be broken on day 1. It was the first time I ever used them, and they were broken. This, to me, is a defective part from Sandsik.

Well. You do what you gotta do. If you were so stoked about ear buds, and you really want to return them thats on you. If they dont have a Fuze to replace it with, then seriously think about keeping it and pick up something on Sale at best buy in terms of after market head phones.

If it were me, I would take it back to BestBuy.   I am surprised you said it was the last one at your BB store.     The store here has plenty.  

Just take everything from the box  put it in a bag with the receipt.   take it back.   they will check it out (the Geek Squad guys),   show them it has an issue with the playback with the earphones,  and ask to have it exchanged or refunded.

BestBuy is easy to work with.

Good luck,

Message Edited by niko_sama on 02-11-2009 11:48 PM

Again, to be clear, it’s less about the earbuds than it is about Sandisk’s unwillingness to stand behind their product. How many times do you open packages these days to see the “if you have a problem, don’t return it, just contact us”. I expected more the company than just a “boy, it sure stinks they don’t work, but it’s not our fault” response from support. I wonder if 6 months from now if the player malfunctions that I’ll just get the same brush off.

It wont. I looked it up, with my warranty info. The headphones (Not made by Sansa) arnt part of the 1 year limited warranty on your player. If your player malfuctions due to manufacturer defect, then it will be replaced for up to 1 year. This is something they stand by. Headphones are not even mentioned.

I hear what you are saying.   It’s always easier to deal with the retailer you purchased from than it is to RMA something through the manufacturer.    It’s also much easier to get what you want voice on a phone call through there tollfree number than it is through email.

Sandisk does honor warranties and gives good customer service.    But trying to deal through email may not be the best choice.  in my opinion.    Other peoples mileage may vary :slight_smile:

Do what you need to do :)   Good luck

You said you would understand if Best Buy just threw them in there, well basically that’s what happened. Sansa (from my understanding) does not make the headphones, a third party does, and thus they are just put there and are not covered by the warranty.

The supplied headphones for the Fuze are essentially a promotional bonus, allowing you to enjoy the Fuze right out of the box.  I wouldn’t be upset about them, as the de facto custom with audio players is to supply a “giveaway” set with the device.

Going back 25 years, the supplied headphone for the Sony Walkman was expected to be on par with the cassette player.  Why? Because little headphones simply did not exist!  Times have changed.

I don’t have the numbers handy, but an overwhelming majority of DAP users invest in specialty headphones.  It’s become the norm to replace the supplied buds with something more palatable to the individual’s ears and tastes.

Looking at the local Target store, they have an entire shopping aisle stocked with nothing but headphones.  The assorted audio players occupy a small ten foot length of an aisle.

SanDisk could supply a unique, high quality headphone, but they’d have to mark up the retail price of the final package.  Nobody would be very happy with the inevitable result.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@cdipierr wrote:

Darn…

I wish you had gotten your fuze earlier.  I finally disposed of the headphones that came with my fuzes.  I would have gladly given them to you.  Ah well…

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Darn…

I wish you had gotten your fuze earlier.  I finally disposed of the headphones that came with my fuzes.  I would have gladly given them to you.  Ah well…

Same here! A coworker’s Coby earbuds that he was using with his iPod died, so I gave him my 2 pairs of Sansa buds…he said they were an upgrade from the Coby’s…lol.:smiley:

@cdipierr wrote:

Again, to be clear, it’s less about the earbuds than it is about Sandisk’s unwillingness to stand behind their product.

So you’re trying to say that since Sandisk didn’t replace the headphones (just as the warranty states they wouldn’t), you don’t think they’ll stand behind the parts that are covered by the warranty? That seems a bit of a stretch to me.