Disappointed in Sansa support - broken headphones

If it were me, I would take it back to BestBuy.   I am surprised you said it was the last one at your BB store.     The store here has plenty.  

Just take everything from the box  put it in a bag with the receipt.   take it back.   they will check it out (the Geek Squad guys),   show them it has an issue with the playback with the earphones,  and ask to have it exchanged or refunded.

BestBuy is easy to work with.

Good luck,

Message Edited by niko_sama on 02-11-2009 11:48 PM

Again, to be clear, it’s less about the earbuds than it is about Sandisk’s unwillingness to stand behind their product. How many times do you open packages these days to see the “if you have a problem, don’t return it, just contact us”. I expected more the company than just a “boy, it sure stinks they don’t work, but it’s not our fault” response from support. I wonder if 6 months from now if the player malfunctions that I’ll just get the same brush off.

It wont. I looked it up, with my warranty info. The headphones (Not made by Sansa) arnt part of the 1 year limited warranty on your player. If your player malfuctions due to manufacturer defect, then it will be replaced for up to 1 year. This is something they stand by. Headphones are not even mentioned.

I hear what you are saying.   It’s always easier to deal with the retailer you purchased from than it is to RMA something through the manufacturer.    It’s also much easier to get what you want voice on a phone call through there tollfree number than it is through email.

Sandisk does honor warranties and gives good customer service.    But trying to deal through email may not be the best choice.  in my opinion.    Other peoples mileage may vary :slight_smile:

Do what you need to do :)   Good luck

You said you would understand if Best Buy just threw them in there, well basically that’s what happened. Sansa (from my understanding) does not make the headphones, a third party does, and thus they are just put there and are not covered by the warranty.

The supplied headphones for the Fuze are essentially a promotional bonus, allowing you to enjoy the Fuze right out of the box.  I wouldn’t be upset about them, as the de facto custom with audio players is to supply a “giveaway” set with the device.

Going back 25 years, the supplied headphone for the Sony Walkman was expected to be on par with the cassette player.  Why? Because little headphones simply did not exist!  Times have changed.

I don’t have the numbers handy, but an overwhelming majority of DAP users invest in specialty headphones.  It’s become the norm to replace the supplied buds with something more palatable to the individual’s ears and tastes.

Looking at the local Target store, they have an entire shopping aisle stocked with nothing but headphones.  The assorted audio players occupy a small ten foot length of an aisle.

SanDisk could supply a unique, high quality headphone, but they’d have to mark up the retail price of the final package.  Nobody would be very happy with the inevitable result.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@cdipierr wrote:

I purchased a Fuze 2GB 2 weeks ago. The headphones are broken in the sense that 1 of the channel wires is broken (sometimes makes contact, sometimes doesn’t). I used the E-Box thing and they tell me that the headphones are an “accessory”. This despite the fact that they’re shipped in the package with the Fuze.

I love the concept of the Fuze and it works well with other headphones, but I think this support incident is enough to get me to return it. Buyer beware from such a cheap company.

Darn…

I wish you had gotten your fuze earlier.  I finally disposed of the headphones that came with my fuzes.  I would have gladly given them to you.  Ah well…

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Darn…

I wish you had gotten your fuze earlier.  I finally disposed of the headphones that came with my fuzes.  I would have gladly given them to you.  Ah well…

Same here! A coworker’s Coby earbuds that he was using with his iPod died, so I gave him my 2 pairs of Sansa buds…he said they were an upgrade from the Coby’s…lol.:smiley:

@cdipierr wrote:

Again, to be clear, it’s less about the earbuds than it is about Sandisk’s unwillingness to stand behind their product.

So you’re trying to say that since Sandisk didn’t replace the headphones (just as the warranty states they wouldn’t), you don’t think they’ll stand behind the parts that are covered by the warranty? That seems a bit of a stretch to me.

@cdipierr wrote:

Again, to be clear, it’s less about the earbuds than it is about Sandisk’s unwillingness to stand behind their product. How many times do you open packages these days to see the “if you have a problem, don’t return it, just contact us”. I expected more the company than just a “boy, it sure stinks they don’t work, but it’s not our fault” response from support. I wonder if 6 months from now if the player malfunctions that I’ll just get the same brush off.

Hi cdipierr,

I agree with you, you have paid for the whole package and the headphones are part of it, so you should have warranty for the whole package.

Frank

Sorry to have created such a long thread on here. I realize this is basically a fan forum, and I will restate that the player itself has been fine, I like it, it fits my need.

But to me, this is sort of like buying a car from Toyota, noticing that the floormats are ripped the day you bought it and them saying “Sorry, they’re an accessory, we’re not covering them. Feel free to buy new ones.”

If I had been using the device for a month or something and then the headphones broke, I’d be disappointed, but probably not care. The fact that they’re broken out of the box, never previously used bugs me.

That analogy is false. It would be more accurate to make that comparison if your Toyota came with incentives, such as free tools in the truck bed toolboxes, or free tires, or something else. You’re buying the player and it comes with some additional pieces as an incentive. I can’t honestly believe you’d complain so much over a pair of free, low quality headphones. I have five pairs of those. Do you really want one?

cdipierr wrote:

The fact that they’re broken out of the box, never previously used bugs me.

You have options open and you haven’t pursuied them.   Take it back to bestbuy.  I’m sure they will exchange it.   If your Bestbuy is out of stock, try another BestBuy.   I have 3 BestBuy stores within 30 miles of where i live.  If you are expecting something to change by posting on this forum it won’t.   Go get your customer satisfaction, its waiting for you.

cdipierr wrote:

The fact that they’re broken out of the box, never previously used bugs me.

You have options open and you haven’t pursed them.   Take it back to Bestbuy.  I’m sure they will exchange it.   If your Bestbuy is out of stock, try another Bestbuy.   I have 3 Bestbuy stores within 30 miles of where I live.  If you are expecting something to change by posting on this forum it won’t.   Go get your customer satisfaction, its waiting for you.

Maybe if I wrote my message in large type and bold it’d be more important like yours :wink:

Perhaps I should retitle the thread and say “If you purchase something from Sandisk, do not expect support on all items in the package.”

Obviously I don’t expect something to change via this forum, but I do wish to let prospective buyers know that buyer beware.

That is the most ridiculous thing ever. “my headphones broke! sandisk ■■■■■! they were low quality headphones anyway, but sandisk ■■■■■ because i expect total, complete, infinite satisfaction from a sub $100 player! sandisk ■■■■■! they don’t stand behind their products, because my headphones broke!” Nevermind that this happens to EVERY COMPANY at some point… retard.

Wow, thanks for the welcome to the forum. I hold Sandisk in much higher regard after the personal insults from its fans.

I guess I’m a retard because I expect things to work out of the box or for the company to stand by what they put in the box.

Or you could stop complaining incessantly and take it back already. Most things work when purchased. Occasionally, something breaks in manufacturing. If you’ve bought any electronics before you should know this already. Take it back, then suddenly you’ll realize how simple this all really was. The time you put into making copy-pasted replies like “sandisk ■■■■■ <insert something about headphones here>” could have been spent going to the retailer and exchanging for a new unit. If you take my “retard” comment as anything but my own opinion of you after failing to do anything about your situation, you are retarded.

Message Edited by Aircraftkiller on 02-12-2009 02:53 PM

No,  the large type was just to make sure you read what i wrote.    And now that I know you read it,  I am wondering why your not resolving things.   To be honest you can do what you like with your thread .  LOL     You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink :P  

Good luck,   this thread is going no where,  because your not making an effort to getting things resolved.   peace

Guys, you are forgetting the rules.

Personal attacks will NOT be tolerated.  Let’s keep it civil.

µsansa