Database Capacity CONFUSED (n dazed!)

I thought I had this sussed out. Apparently not??? Seems on these pages popular belief is databse capacity was recently upped to 8000 songs or files after recent firmware updates and a device format and relaod is required to take advantage of this. WELL, take a looksee at the Tech support answer just to put the cat among the pigeons. Any1 know definatively what the heck is going on?

Arrrgh, H-E-L-P

Tech Support answer follows:-

Thanks for emailing SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

Please note that the capacity of the Fuze can be filled to it’s maximum. For 8 Gb you can put up to 2,000 songs, and for 16 GB up to 4000 Songs. The firmware does not influence the storing capacity.

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information. You can log in using your email address as your login and the password that you created.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk’s products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/forums to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,
Andrei Balea
SanDisk Technical Support

Youric1 wrote:

I thought I had this sussed out. Apparently not??? Seems on these pages popular belief is databse capacity was recently upped to 8000 songs or files after recent firmware updates and a device format and relaod is required to take advantage of this. WELL, take a looksee at the Tech support answer just to put the cat among the pigeons. Any1 know definatively what the heck is going on?

Arrrgh, H-E-L-P

Tech Support answer follows:-

Thanks for emailing SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

Please note that the capacity of the Fuze can be filled to it’s maximum. For 8 Gb you can put up to 2,000 songs, and for 16 GB up to 4000 Songs. The firmware does not influence the storing capacity.

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information. You can log in using your email address as your login and the password that you created.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk’s products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/forums to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,
Andrei Balea
SanDisk Technical Support

I would suggest that you read THIS. Clearly, the person who emailed you is a little con-"fuze"d about the device. I had one for a year, so I remember when the update happened very clearly. The truth of the matter is, add the .26 firmware to the Fuze, then format it, and then the database will support 8000 songs, assuming the total size of those songs does not exceed the amount of memory available. :wink:

Marvin you sir are as ever the font of all knowledge. Ur definative answer is a 'king big relief to know I aint formatting for no reason. If you are ever in Leicestershire I shall buy ye a beer or 6.

Anyone want an ashtray for a motorbike? - going cheepon tech ‘support’

God bless ye Marvin!:smiley::smileyvery-happy::wink:

Youric1 wrote:

Marvin you sir are as ever the font of all knowledge. Ur definative answer is a 'king big relief to know I aint formatting for no reason. If you are ever in Leicestershire I shall buy ye a beer or 6.

Anyone want an ashtray for a motorbike? - going cheepon tech ‘support’

God bless ye Marvin!:smiley::smileyvery-happy::wink:

Glad I could help.:smiley:

Hey Marvin:

Do you know if there’s any way to load mp3 files on the Fuze without making an entry in the DB and yet still be playable?

For example, if I don’t tag a file does it still make a DB entry.

The reason I ask is because I want to have several audiobooks loaded on my player and audiobooks often are mastered with 99 tracks per CD.  So a 20+ hour book easily has 2000+ tracks and yet the space required will only be a few hundred MB total, since they’ll be heavily compressed at 32kbps mono.

So it’s very easy to run out DB entries before running out of storage space when dealing with audiobooks (and podcasts too for that matter).

knifethemac wrote:

Hey Marvin:

Do you know if there’s any way to load mp3 files on the Fuze without making an entry in the DB and yet still be playable?

The reason I ask is because I want to have several audiobooks loaded on my player and audiobooks often are mastered with 99 tracks per CD.  So a 20+ hour book easily has 2000+ tracks and yet the space required will only be a few hundred MB total, since they’ll be heavily compressed at 32kbps mono.

So it’s very easy to run out DB entries before running out of storage space when dealing with audiobooks (and podcasts too for that matter).

I’m pretty sure it would still make an entry in the DB…it would be listed as “unknown”, but there nonetheless.

knifethemac,

After you rip the CD’s into mp3 format, you might have to stitch a few of them together to make fewer/larger files. I did the same thing with the entire Harry Potter series. I linked all the files together by chapter. So book one has 17 files, book two has 18 files, book 3 has 22 files, etc.

@stripe1966 wrote:

knifethemac,

After you rip the CD’s into mp3 format, you might have to stitch a few of them together to make fewer/larger files. I did the same thing with the entire Harry Potter series. I linked all the files together by chapter. So book one has 17 files, book two has 18 files, book 3 has 22 files, etc.

Yeah, I used to do that for my old portables that didn’t fully implement VFAT and thus had severe limits on files per directory and total files on the device.

I was really hoping to avoid that on the Fuze because I haven’t figured out a painless of doing it without having to actually write a script. And since the Fuze doesn’t have true bookmarking, it a lot more convienient to have a bunch of small files instead of a few really long files.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@knifethemac wrote:

Hey Marvin:

I’m pretty sure it would still make an entry in the DB…it would be listed as “unknown”, but there nonetheless.

Sigh.

Unfortunately that’s the answer I suspected.

Apparently the firmware writers at Sansa must own iPod’s instead of Fuze’s because if they actually had to use these things on a daily basis there’d be a lot of changes to the firmware. :frowning:

@knifethemac wrote:

… And since the Fuze doesn’t have true bookmarking, …

True! That is one feature that my old Zen Xtra has that I REALLY like!

<a href=“j a v asc ri pt:(a l e r t (document.domain))”>X</a>