Data Exists on fuze, but explorer showes empty folders

I have a video, songs, and photos on my fuze (the sample data that came on it when i got it) at one time i could open the fuze in windows explorer and view all the folders. Open the “MUSIC” folder and it would display all the music. Same with the photos and video. NOW when i open the folders they are empty. What is going on??? I know the data is on the fuze, but nothing will show up in windows explorer.

Check Settings->System Settings->USB Mode

There are two modes of USB operation: MSC and MTP. Plus there’s an Auto mode.

MSC makes the Fuze look like a memory stick.

MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol, a Micro$oft developed protocol for connecting media players to a host computer.

The Fuze’s Auto mode defaults to MTP, but falls back to MSC if the host computer does not have drivers for MTP. Mostly it’s best to choose MTP or MSC, then you know how your Fuze is connecting.

The relevance of all this is that the Fuze stores items transfered by MTP in one area, and by MSC in a different area.  The host computer can only ‘see’ the storage area for the mode in which it is connected. The Fuze always sees both areas.

The  Fuze’s included content is stored in the MTP area, so it sounds like your host computer is connected in MSC mode.

If you’ve got a Windows PC, you need at least XP SP2 and at least WMP 10 to get the MTP drivers.

MSC mode is generally a bit more reliable, but you need MTP if you have content that has DRM  attached.

If you had recently updated the firmware, that will reset it into autodetect mode.

I agree, when you transfer song ON MSC it will only show the song on MSC mode when connected to computer and vice versa. :wink:

I have same problem but no matter of mode.

And no matter what OS or computer i use

You need Windows Media Player 10 or 11 to work with MTP mode.

I use it with WMP and it’s don’t work.

Not just WMP. Windows Media Player 10 or 11. Check the version under Help/About.

It is 12

It’s gonna be scary when you can actually write two sentences in a row. The world will be trembling at your feet.

first u can use MTP devices with older windows versions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media\_Transfer\_Protocol#Support\_for\_legacy\_Windows\_versions

but thats beside the point, WMP10 or 11 on XP, vista and 7 both have their own drivers build in that do not requier you to install wmp(i have removed WMP and can still use my fuze and yp-u3 in MTP mode)

As people have said, your likely in the oposite mode from the one that was used to load whatever is taking up space, if you want the quickist fix, just format the fuze with its internal formater and you can load up whatever you like.

Personally, I can’t say I agree with this:

As people have said, your likely in the oposite mode from the one that was used to load whatever is taking up space, if you want the quickist fix, just format the fuze with its internal formater and you can load up whatever you like.

If you can’t access the data, what good will deleting everything do?

Also when windows shows that fuze is 100% charged, device says “68%”

The Format command on the unit (under Settings/System Settings/Format) is a clean sweep–all music, videos, etc. are gone. Don’t use it if there’s something on there you can’t replace. And don’t worry, it leaves the firmware alone–that’s in a different partition.

Changing mode should make all your files acessible–but not all at once. Some in MSC, some in MTP. 

As for the battery, use it until it runs down, then recharge it.  Set the mode to MSC to recharge since it seems you’re having problems with MTP.  As long as you have decent battery life, don’t worry. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 04-30-2010 07:15 PM