DIY Line Out Cable - Works!

@14124all wrote:

The problem seems to be with input impedance on devices that people connect to. They seem to vary quite a bit. Car stereos and boomboxes are probably all over the place. Home receivers should be quite constant at around 10-20k ohm. axon gets good level when connected to a receiver, but many people get low level when connecting to car stereos using the Fuze headphone out.

I always thought it was an impedance issue as well, but someone posted here that I was incorrect (maybe neutron bob? can’t remember).  It’s defintely the case with both my home and car receivers that the Fuze connected via headphone gives a much lower level then a CD.

@14124all wrote:

The View cables I bought on ebay are the ones that roll up on a recoiler (got 2 for $7 shipped). I did not open the connector end because I could see no needed contacts in the 30 pin connector. The Sansa cable snaps apart. Other cables may be molded or heat staked and may break when seperated. You have to glue them back together.

It seems like the one I have has a full connector, but I guess the housing must be glued.  Maybe I can separate it with an exacto without doing too much damage.

I guess it’ll be worth sacrificing the cable for experimentation since it’s useless to me anyway.  Then assuming we get it figured out properly, I think I’ll order some of those connectors from that site I posted and some high quality audio cables from monoprice and try to make a really good cable.