DIY Line Out Cable - Works!

@14124all wrote:

None of us has a clear understanding yet. Sansafix has provided some very useful info though. I need to get a complete schematic built of the Griffin Dock, hopefully in the next few days. All must realize that this work is being done blind. No complete Fuze pinout available and no chip pinout engineering data. This is proprietary info and probably will never be found. So tinkering is the way to solve it. Maybe at the price of a player if something goes wrong for me.

axon, I understand your justification for the dock now. Very handy for desk use and charging. This is assuming you get it at the clearance price as you have stated. Buying at full price would be very questionable. I bought one to disect it!

skinjob, My current cable jump I would call marginally useable. It seems that it is overdriving the output. People can try it and see if they run into distortion on their hookups. I’ll dig out my old Hameg o-scope and see what the actual levels I’m dealing with are.

Since pin7 is a binary on/off enable input the voltage level means nothing, 1-3 volts is going to be the same.

I want to get the cable connected output level the same as the Dock output, as it is probably the cleanest signal available. It will also be proper if the peak to peak value is correct as “true” lineout. My next guess without tinkering is that there may be a pin or pins that get grounded when docked. The cable mod does work on enableing the lineout, but I feel it can be improved.

Hi 1412

What I don’t understand is this: 

• If the lineout and the headphone jack (at 100%) are the same, how is it possible that your cable can output more than there is?

• And if the lineout and the headphone jack produce the same signal, they should be able to be used interchangably.

• And if they are interchangable, a true line level output can be obtained from the headphone jack at 100% while preserving the FM function.  [Regarding the FM function, while I was not able to get satisfactory reception with a .5M Zu Pivot, a plain, el cheapo, unshielded, Radio Shack 1M mini to RCA did the trick.]

axon