DIY Line Out Cable - Works!

@cruiserdude wrote:

This is great info, and its good to be able to get this much technical information on the inner workings of these devices.  Even better to hear that Sandisk is addressing this further for us.  I do, however, have two simple questions:

1. Would it be possible to enable line-out without requiring voltage to pin 7?  If so, what are the chances Sansa would allow this with a future FW upgrade, and what (if anything) would be their reasons for not doing so?

1. Why doesn’t SanDisk want to make a cable?  Seems like it would be a great way to make some extra money, as well as increasing sales to people who buy Ipods instead due to the much greater accessory market.  I can understand that they want to sell their docks for home use, but it would be great for cars, as well as for the portability factor.  Seems like they’d be missing out NOT to make a cable, so what are the reasons against them doing this? 
  1. Sansafix has indicated it is possible via FW, but they have decided not to do it.  You would need a setting to enable either the phones or the line-out.  Since you can’t have both at the same time, I guess they were afraid users would set it to line and not be able to figure out why their headphones don’t work.  Seems to me this could be handled easilly in the UI with some kind of status icon (for example, in the same way you know if shuffle is on or not).

2. I have no idea.  It makes no sense.  Especially since the official Sansa dock is so expensive.  I doubt that many people are willing to spend $50-60 on a dock, but I would think many would buy a $10-15 cable.  And as you said, a dock is not really useful for car and other portable applications.  And if they implemented an output switch in FW, you could use the existing View A/V cable.  They wouldn’t need to make a special Fuze cable.