DIY Line Out Cable - Works!

@14124all wrote:

Finally dived into the line out cable project. Already had a Fuze internally jumped for line out, did up a cable this time. Attached a 1/8" stereo mini plug to a Sandisk original 30 pin cable.

NOTE: This DIY mod is for those who have good soldering skills. I will not cover the basic mechanics of taking the 30 pin cable connector apart and reassembling. Here are the connections:

1. jumper pin 7 to pin 22 (this provides the needed 3volt for enabling the line out pins)
  1. stereo cable right channel to pin 27 (usually red wire)
  1. stereo cable left channel to pin 28 (usually white wire)
  1. stereo cable shield to connector housing shield solder point

Operation will be the same as with the Griffin Dock. Charging still works the same, as the original circuit is not altered.

NOTE: There has been much discussion about this not being a true line out signal, which is probably true. A true line out would be unaffected by volume or tone with constant output. It seems to be all we have to work with in the Fuze though. The volume needs to be at about 50% or greater (doesn’t really increase much from that point on, like the griffin dock). The signal is noticeably stronger than using the headphone out and is still distortion free. It drives my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 very well and my Kenwood car stereo equally well.

The advantage of the cable over the dock is that external power is not needed. You can run off of the battery or connect to a USB power source, your choice.

With the cable connected the headphone out is inactive, same as the Griffin Dock. You could run wires out from the pin 7 to pin 22 jumper to a small switch if you want to shut off the line out and restore headphone out.

Hope this clears up some of the conFuzion!!!

Hi 14124all

Nice work on the line out cable.  :slight_smile:

I’m curious about what you said about the line out. I’m new here and haven’t found much information about the nature of the line out on the Fuze.  For instance, why does the line out need 3 volts?  What else might you be able to say about how the line out works?

• My experience with the Griffin dock is that the volume remains constant until the last 25%…  do you think this decrease in volume is attenuation of the line out signal? 

• I also found that anywhere from about 25% to full volume out of the dock was the same as full volume from the Fuze’s headphone jack, when connected to my M^3 amp and DT880 headphones. 

• I found both signals to be distortion free but  did not find the dock to be  stronger nor better than the headphone out of the Fuze. 

• I thought the cleaner signal came out of the headphone jack on the Fuze , which makes sense considering the cheap electronics in the dock and the additional signal path. 

• It should be noted that the difference in sound quality  between the dock and the headphone jack on the Fuze were quite small and without a very resolving system, would not be heard easily.

Regards

axon

Now the disclaimer:  I did the comparisons quickly and I’m aware that YMMV.  :wink: