DIY Line Out Cable - Works!

I wrote a guide on how to make the LOD. For those who are interested, you can read it at:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sansa-fuzes-diylod-guide-56k-407873/

Message Edited by ClieOS on 04-24-2009 07:21 PM

ClieOS, Very Nice!!! AAA+!!! Very well written with excellent presentation. Wow, you are a pro! Good to see another sucessful build - with a fantastic how-to! And I’m diggin’ those mini-amps too!

Can be a ? for anyone.If the line out may be a bit better would there be a benefit to put rca jacks on the diy cord to hook up to a stereo or other device?

You could substitute the stereo mini plug with RCA jacks. Cable will be the same, just with different connectors.

Anyone get their conn. from Ridax?If so can someone help with placement of wires on their conn.Thx

ClieOS has built his v2 cable with a Ridax connector. Go to

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sansa-fuzes-diylod-guide-56k-407873/

for pics and info. Note that his cables are for portable amp connection, so you may not want that type of cable. He does show some very nice pics of the Ridax connector and his assembly stages.

Ok thx for the info.Just to pass along to others the conn from Ridax came in less than a week.I live in midwest and I believe the conn. came from Sweden.I ordered some other cables fom the States at the same time and I received both packages the same day!!!.AAAA+++++ for Ridax.

Yeah, I have finished writing up the Fuze diyLOD v1 and v2 mod (plus a few fact regarding AS3525 and the Line-out signal), just check the link in 14124all’s post above.

Thanks ClieOS you did a great job with all the pictures and a great “easy to understand” procedure.Excellent work!

( I am not really good in editing, Math is somewhat better) 

Charly

best wishes and happy soldering

rotten Apples!!!

After that experience you never again would have the wish to buy one of those

Headphones you should not miss to listen to a breeze of Sound from the little Fuze!!!

Annother interesting hint: If one of you has ever the chance, to get close to some BOSE QC3 Noise cancelling

For that you can easily use the originally supplied cable that comes with the player.

The units are well communicating via the USB controlled interfaces.

All that You need is a Stereo-set  with an USB-Interface.

If I want to charge the Unit, I am eather using the computer USB-interface or a plugin wall charger with an USB interface.

than usual.

Reason: I am using a Sansa Fuze with natural supplied cable on my Stereo equipment if I want to listen to the files a bit louder

I have been reading through this pages a while and did not really catch the problems with all this wiring and cables!

Hi all

Message Edited by charly on 04-21-2009 06:56 AM

Message Edited by charly on 04-21-2009 07:11 AM

Anyone have a Sansa LOD for sale?

@14124all wrote:
WhiiteRaven, the AMS chip does have 2 dedicated line inputs. There most likely is no hardware connection on the Fuze board to the chip pins and no enable in the firmware. Maybe the next generation Fuze or another model will enable it. This chip is loaded with features that are not used in the Fuze.

Yeah, the AMS 3525 datasheet shows that it has a lot of capabilities.  2 line-ins, 2 mic-ins, 1 line-out, 1 headphone-out, 1 speaker-out.

Presumably one of the line-ins is used by the FM radio chip (Si4702 according to Rockbox folks), and one of the mic-ins is used by the internal microphone.

It seems really surprising that Sansa would leave the spare line-in totally disconnected, even if none of their current accessories or firmware can use it.  Apparently 18 out of 30 pins on the Sansa dock connector are currently unaccounted for … seems surprising if none of them is a line-in.  Any thoughts on how to figure out which pins those could be?

Finding the line-in connections (if attached to traces) won’t be easy. The SOC needs to be removed due to it having no exposed edge pins. It is pad mounted with all connections under the case. Even if it is there, you need firmware that enables it. I have no need for line-in, so I have better things to do with the Fuze:

Recently picked up a defective Klipsch iGroove SXT with volume problems. Got that worked out tonight, and now I’m working on modding the dock connector from iPod to Fuze. Initial checking looks to be a easy mod for charging and line-out feed to the SXT. Don’t think it will be possible to do function control and I probably won’t waste time trying. Functions will have to be done on the Fuze, SXT will just have volume control for it’s amp. Hope my iPod pinout is correct, or I might blow a Fuze!!!

Wow, I’ve been browsing these forums for how long now and I haven’t come across this post?!

This is exactly what I’ve been wanting, assuming the player will charge while plugged in, of course…

So where does one get a sacraficial cable at? :smiley:

No sure if anyone is still interested in DIY’ing your own Line-Out Dock for Fuze, but here is an updated version I just finished that is based on FiiO L6 LOD. Basically I have taken the L6 apart and upgrade the caps inside for better sound quality.

Check it out here:

http://www.inearmatters.net/2010/09/review-mod-fiio-l6-lod-for-sansa-fuze.html

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/514061/review-mod-fiio-l6-lod-for-sansa-fuze

Cheer.

Hi;  This might be a little off topic, but this tread was the closest on I could find for my question.  It does have something to do with line out. 

will Line Out Dock LOD Adapter For Sansa Fuze bypass headphone jack?

‎01-14-2015 05:57 PM

On my oldest Fuze the sound cuts out some if you bump the headphone jack, then goes back to normal when not bumped.  I know the headphone jack can have issues.  Everything else works just fine.  I found a

New Line Out Dock LOD Adapter For Sansa Fuze MP3 Player To Headphone Amplifier

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271202448081?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

on ebay.    What I want to know if I plug this into the Fuze and plug the head phones or speaker into the adaptor will it work like you are just plugged into the headphone jack?  Can you adjust the volume from the Fuze like normal?  I just though that if I could bypass the headphone jack I could get a few more years out of my beloved Fuze.  Thanks 

You could plug a headphone amplifier or stereo into the line out dock, but not headphones. IIRC volume control will not work, you use the volume control on the amplifier instead.

If you want to use headphones, you could open up the player and resolder the headphone jack.  Be very careful if you do this though, its quite easy to break off the cable that connects the Fuze wheel to the mainboard.  

Thanks.  I was hoping it would work :cry:  What if I had a pair of headphone with built in volume control?

I could try soldering, but I haven’t done it with little things.  I am not sure my 30 year old soldering gun is up to pin point size drops. 

I was hoping for a work around so I wouldn’t have to crack open my Fuze.  Can you plug headphones into a cheap portable mini amp?  Thanks again.

The line out amplifier has very low maximum power, so while you can try to plug headphones in, it may not sound good and will probably very quiet. Worth a shot I guess. Usually though you plug in an amp which then boosts the signal up to a reasonable power.

The other option is to press the headphone connector down onto the board and then epoxy it.  Usually this works as well as soldering.  

Thanks.  I might try the adapter with a portable amplifier                  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HJWWW8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1JYB1W46DW3TQ&coliid=IY3OSU6603N2A             I am worried I might wreak my Fuze trying to open it up.  I have seen people selling some with broken clips from them opening it up.  I’d rather not have to use packing tape <G>.