SanDisk Guru

Re: Curiosity poll - What format do you use & why?

"I think a lot of the WMA "haters" would be surprised at how well that setting works.....assuming the CD's aren't scratched."

I don't hate WMA, but do dislike the shorter battery life when using it. That is why I don't rip to WMA.

SanDisk Guru

JK98 wrote:

"I think a lot of the WMA "haters" would be surprised at how well that setting works.....assuming the CD's aren't scratched."

I don't hate WMA, but do dislike the shorter battery life when using it. That is why I don't rip to WMA.

I don't know exactly how much of a difference WMA makes, but it's not nearly as bad as the FLAC battery life penalty. I did a FLAC test with my old Clip and the battery life went from 14-15 hours with WMA-MP3 to 8.5 hours with FLAC.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

No, I haven't really settled on what program to use yet.  One thought is WMP is already on my computer, easy to use, & tags well, so maybe vbr WMA.  Another thought is, it would be nice to use MP3 for battery life.  I was thinking vbr MP3s, but WMP doesn't do them.  Maybe cbr MP3s at 192kbps.  Or, I had downloaded MediaMonkey a while back because I wanted to use the ReplayGain feature for shuffle play, but last night when I tried to rip a cd it said the free version won't rip any more because it's over 30 days old.  Without using the program more I'm not sure I want to spend money on it.  I don't know.  It might suck.  It did seem at bit more complicated to use.  I also don't know if you can still use the ReplayGain feature with the free version.  Yet another thought was that a lot of people mentioned EAC.  That it's free & does a good job.  I don't know.  To us non-techies this is getting a bit baffling.  Smiley Sad  Too many choices!  Which reminds me, I might start another thread about ReplayGain.  Thanks again guys!  Keep it coming.  Smiley Tongue
SanDisk User

EAC confuses me.  it's too complicated.  I rip a lot of audiobooks and cds so I need to change bit rates a lot.  I don't worry too much about tags because I run everything through mp3tag when I'm done.  what I do is rip everything to wav with EAC and then I use LameXP to convert it to whatever bit rate I want.
SanDisk Guru

@tipsypenguin wrote:
EAC confuses me.  it's too complicated.  I rip a lot of audiobooks and cds so I need to change bit rates a lot.  I don't worry too much about tags because I run everything through mp3tag when I'm done.  what I do is rip everything to wav with EAC and then I use LameXP to convert it to whatever bit rate I want.

I think EAC is over rated.  It does exactly what it is supposed to do, but it isn't the be all - end all of ripper encoders out there.  If you have to have secure rips dbpoweramp makes a wonderful program that is much faster than EAC without losing any functionality.  There are plenty others, many free, that do a decent job as well.

"Before I sink into the big sleep...I want to hear the scream of the Butterfly"
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

Media Monkey will run after 30 days if you substitute the official lame_enc.dll for the timed-out one in Media Monkey.

A good download link and instructions for a similar situation in Audacity are  here.

Just unzip, get lame_enc.dll and replace the one in C:\Program Files\Media Monkey. 

For what it's worth, you can also rip to .mp3 in Windows Media Player: better tags, worse encoder. You change the settings under Rip. Right-click on the very top line if you don't see Tools. 

Or if you want, here's the last freeware dbPoweramp..

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 02-21-2010 03:07 PM
SanDisk Professor

I quite like the tags in mediamonkey. User submitted or not, I have better luck with MM.  Maybe it's because I listen to a fair amount of unreleased albums.
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

I have been particularly impressed with the quality of OGG. It sounds reasonably good to me (with my portable headphones) at 128kbps. My Fuze is nearly full (mostly 192kbps MP3), so I re-ripped a bunch of CDs to Ogg, particularly the stuff that I plan to leave on the Fuze long-term. Not much really plays this format, so its really just for the Fuze. I re-encoded some purchased MP3 files to Ogg, too. Some people view this as sacrilege to go from one lossy format to another, but I find the compression methods are similar enough that the loss isn't as noticeable as they claim.

Smiley Happy Thanks for the info!  I'll try to get MediaMonkey working when I get home tonight! 

Hey, thanks for the MediaMonkey tip.  It worked!  Smiley Very Happy  Now I just gotta figure out how to use it.