Crossfade in the new update? please?

Hi, was wondering if we would ever get to see a ’ crossfade’ feature under music option? For those who do not know what crossfade is, basically it fades out the out going track at the same time as fading in the new track, giving it a DJ non-stop feel. I listen to my music with crossfading on MediaMonkey and I learnt that it is also available on the latest nano. I think it would be really cool and I guess the team can work on that since they are currently working on gapless playback?

With crossfade and sleep timer, my fuze would be complete! :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by quixotius on 10-11-2008 11:59 PM

That would be pretty cool, but it might be harder than gapless for them, so they might not add it in to the firmware. I guess we’ll see!

Werd…same feeling here…sleep timer (which it already has) and crossfading would make it totally complete! But it sounds better when the next song “fades” in cold (full volume)…doesn’t sound right if it actually fades in from quiet to full volume like it does on iTunes.

Message Edited by vice86 on 01-01-2009 02:09 PM

On top of Gapless? I have a feeling that the programmers are struggling enough withgappless playback, let alone cross fade. Also Im not sure if the processor can handle cross fade tagars a lot of preload and exitload on the processor (im not sure those are the right terms) but the player would have to load the next song ahead of time and then modify the song on its way out, i dont know if it could take it and if it could how would the battery stand up?

As you point out, it would require pre-loading the next song into what little precious RAM it already has. Not to say that it can’t be done; the Rockbox developers have proven that it can. Whether or not it can be done with the existing firmware through updates is questionable though.

what exactly is “gapless” play? I’m assuming it gets rid of any pause between tracks so a mix CD that’s in individual files will sound continuous like it would listening to it on a CD instead of having slight pause between each track?

@vice86 wrote:
what exactly is “gapless” play? I’m assuming it gets rid of any pause between tracks so a mix CD that’s in individual files will sound continuous like it would listening to it on a CD instead of having slight pause between each track?

The best Example of Gapless is When you are listening to an Opera, the differnt sections of the opra are split into seperate tracks, but you dont want that gap between the parts, this is when you use gapless, multiple tracks sound like one song

Gapless would make me pretty happy.

I can’t even think of listening to Dark Side with the intervals currently on the player.

@logrus wrote:

Gapless would make me pretty happy.

I can’t even think of listening to Dark Side with the intervals currently on the player.

Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, live recordings…all good examples.

I found a solution to “The Pink Floyd Paradox” of how to listen to the Wall and Dark Side without Gapless Capabilities and with out Committing the Blasphmey of “ReCutting” The multi track version as one track. I went and got some Adult Beverage and sat down with my USB Turn Table and Got out the Floyd. I was able to record the ablum off of Vinyl to put on my fuze. Not only is it gapless but It was very enjoyable. Perhaps tomorrow I will get the Led out?

@conversionbox wrote:
I found a solution to “The Pink Floyd Paradox” of how to listen to the Wall and Dark Side without Gapless Capabilities and with out Committing the Blasphmey of “ReCutting” The multi track version as one track. I went and got some Adult Beverage and sat down with my USB Turn Table and Got out the Floyd. I was able to record the ablum off of Vinyl to put on my fuze. Not only is it gapless but It was very enjoyable. Perhaps tomorrow I will get the Led out?

The Led is always a great choice!

@conversionbox wrote:
I found a solution to “The Pink Floyd Paradox” of how to listen to the Wall and Dark Side without Gapless Capabilities and with out Committing the Blasphmey of “ReCutting” The multi track version as one track. I went and got some Adult Beverage and sat down with my USB Turn Table and Got out the Floyd. I was able to record the ablum off of Vinyl to put on my fuze.

I know it’s late and past my bed-time, but I don’t understand. How is this different than joining the individual tracks into one long file. Isn’t the end result the same?

I didnt modify anything… Its just a format change… Its like changing an mp3 into a wav … I was able to take a complete master work in its origional form (Hiccups and all AWESOME!) and put it on my fuze.

But what I didn’t get was how is recording one long continous track from vinyl on your USB turntable into an .mp3 file different from [Committing the Blasphmey of “ReCutting” The multi track version as one track]. Seems to me joining the already existing tracks in a program such as Audacity or something similar would be quicker than recording it from vinyl in real time from a turntable.

Or was it the Adult beverage(s) that made the difference? :stuck_out_tongue:

Who The Hell am I to place some of the greatest works of music ever created into a program and modify them? Its not like there is a big difference but, I felt dirty playing with Floyd’s perfection. It may be faster but is there a better way to get a little inebriated and listen to some awesome rock? I guess I look at it this way the origional pressing had some gaps, So I want those gaps, I cant replicate it in Audacity, Plus this way I get all the inperfections of the vinyl sound. Now Should this same issue arise with a newer band or atleast a band not as epic Audacity here I come…

PS. A Bottle of Jack always makes a difference

OK, may the 3 of you be very happy together. Mr. Floyd, Mr Daniels, and you. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to bed.

OK, may the 3 of you be very happy together. “The 3 Amigos” . . . Mr. Floyd, Mr Daniels, and you.  :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to bed.