Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: Cover art size (the REAL one)

Let me re-interate one of G33Z3R's points: the embedded image must be JPG or BMP (JPG takes less memory).

I wondered why the embedded image for a podcast I subscribe to suddenly would not show up on the Fuze.  Inspecting the image with MP3Tag I found the producer switched from the standard JPG image in earlier episodes to a new *GIF* image of the company logo!  I simply exported the image to my desktop, used Paint.NET to convert it to a JPG, then re-insesrted the JPG to the MP3 file, and now it displays fine on the Fuze.  (I did it just to be sure the issue really was the image type -- I don't really care that much about album art for podcasts...).

----
Sansa Fuze 2 GB + 8 GB micro card
Highlighted

I've done some trial and error with the album art size and here's what I've found.

150x150 or larger is "too big".  Meaning the image will have to be resized to fit the panel and image distortion will be noticable.

110x110 or smaller is "too small".  Meaning the image will have a black border around it because apparently images are not scaled up to fit the panel.

I didn't try every size in between, but I stopped at 120x120 (72dpi) and the image wasn't distorted and didn't have a black border.  This allowed me to store a JPEG of 98% quality at 17.4KB.

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

@G33Z3R wrote:

Hey, that Easy Thumbnails program—does it modify stand-alone images only, or can it modify the thumbnails that are actually embedded in your MP3 tags?

I've gone through my library and fixed everything. I had to change image formats, rescale, square, crop, brighten, save and replace tens of thousands of album covers. Took so very long to do.

I can imagine a program automatically rescaling, but a lot of other things I did probably have to be done manually. **bleep** OCD!

It should not take a long time. If you want to do batch processing of many images, I can recommend the free ImageMagick software (Linux, Windows, Mac). E.g. you could resize all your gif images in a given directory to a maximum of 120 pixel in any dimension by issueing the following command in a DOS terminal:

FOR %a in (*.gif) DO imconvert %a -resize 120x120 small_%a

More elaborated batch processing examples using Windows can be found here.

@TastyWheat wrote:

I didn't try every size in between, but I stopped at 120x120 (72dpi) and the image wasn't distorted and didn't have a black border.  This allowed me to store a JPEG of 98% quality at 17.4KB.

I wish I'd have seen this thread earlier, I found out ages ago that 120×120 is indeed the native resolution. Smiley Happy