Convert cd's to mp3

I would like to add songs from my cd’s to my Fuze, how do I convert them to mp3.

For best quality, try this

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Lots of programs will do that.  I use Media Monkey.  Exact Audio Copy will do that, as will Windows Media Player and iTunes.

As mentioned, there are many programs; some cost and others are free that will ‘rip’ your CD’s to .mp3 or other formats. But if you have a Windows machine, you might as well just use Windows Media Player. It’s already there, it’s simple to use and it works reasonably well. While I definitely do not use WMP to ‘sync’ my music to my players (I only use MSC mode), I DO use it to rip my CD’s. I’ve only had problems with a couple of 'enhanced CD’s where it wouldn’t work, and I had to resort to a different program.

There are a couple of settings you need to be aware about to get the most out of it though. These are all found under the TOOLS menu… First you need to decide which format & bit-rate you want to rip your music in. MP3 is the universal standard, but you can also choose WMA. If you choose this however, be sure to turn off the ‘Copy Protect’ setting.

I rip at 256 kbps, but everybody has their preference. The lower the bit-rate, the more songs you can fit on your player, but also the sound quality will be lower. There have been people here who claim they rip at 64 kbps and can’t tell any sound difference. My thoughts? If you’re that tone-deaf or hearing is that badly damaged that you can’t tell the difference, you have no business trying to listen to music anyway. But if they’re happy, who I am to criticize?

Another decision & setting you should fine-tune before starting any major recording is how you want WMP to name your files. By default, it will create a files name including ALL the attributes of the file; Artist-Album-Track #-Title-Bitrate which can make for some EXTREMELY LONG file names! I’d suggest changing it to just Track#-Title, but the choice is up to you.

WMP will, by default create ARTIST folders (if none already exist) and place all music (albums, etc.) by that artist in that folder. All this will be stored in your My Documents/My Music main folder. Easy to find and very well organized.

Have fun! :smiley:

I have been trying to use Windows media, it will only rip in wma. When I try to rip it in mp3 it tells me that I do not have a converter, do I need to change settings? Any help will be appreciated.

Open Windows Media Player.  Click on Help > About and see what version that old beastie may be.

In the same drop down menu, go to Help > check for Updates, and join the modern world!

If, come to think of it, you have a Playback option that asks 16 / 33 / 45 / 78, that media player needs a major upgrade.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 12-27-2008 05:56 PM

I have the latest version of windows media and I checked for updates. It still will not let me rip cd’s to mp3. It keeps saying that I do not have a converter.

How bizarre.

Well, how about a wee codec for you then?  Try this one, I hope it’s the hot ticket from Download.com (c|net).

Let me know if you can rip in MP3.

@neutron_bob wrote:

How bizarre.

Well, how about a wee codec for you then?  Try this one, I hope it’s the hot ticket from Download.com (c|net).

Let me know if you can rip in MP3.

That is bizarre…I have WMP 11 and it will let me rip to MP3, although I believe it is the traditional MP3 format and not the newer and superior LAME version. The included MP3 doesn’t work as well as WMA VBR (of course, I’m sure that’s just a harmless coincidence :stuck_out_tongue: ) However, the VBR setting with the range of 135-215 does provide wonderful sound…and if space is at a premium, the 85-145 range is still decent, and will provide files that are 60% the size of a 192CBR file :smiley:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 12-28-2008 10:56 AM

I’ve been using MP3s for about ten years; I have well over 40,000 MP3s collected on my PC, and trust only one program to rip audio CDs:

Exact Audio Copy (EAC)

It’s not easy to set up EAC without directions. Here’s a link with step-by-step directions. You can Google for more.

EAC converts CD audio data into WAV files on your PC. These WAV files are of the same quality as the original CD audio, but they’re also just as large, which makes them impractical.

What makes EAC special is its error correction. Lot’s of programs will rip a CD into WAV format, but without error correction you can end up with horrible copies. Any little scratch or smudge on the disc surface can be translated into pure noise or skipping playback. When EAC encounters a problem with a disc, it slows down and tries reading again. Because of this, you can get perfect copies other programs aren’t capable of making themselves.

A second program is needed to convert WAV files into MP3s. Very often you will hear all manner of artifacts in MP3s created by inferior programs: chirps, clicks, and drops being the most common. There is only one program I know of that never introduces errors into my MP3s:

RazorLAME (a LAME frontend application).

You can drag and drop WAV files into the RazorLAME window, click a button and have MP3s in a couple of minutes. Very easy. I recommend encoding at a constant bit rate (CBR) of 192kbps or higher in stereo.

Once you have your MP3, you need to tag them, so the artist, song title, and album art shows up in your media player. Use this:

MP3tag

MP3tag is probably the best program available for tagging MP3s. You can get your album art from online resources such as Amazon.com and Wikipedia.

If you want to burn mix CDs of your favorite music, there is one program that stands head and shoulders above everything else out there:

Feurio!

Feurio! features basic controls such as fades, but also allows precise control over track layout. Ever try to burn a song that runs into the next track without a gap? Feurio! is the only program that can do this. Feurio! is so good that the clowns making the Nero software bought up the rights just to keep it off the market and from further development.

If you ever need to edit your WAV files before turning them into MP3s, such as adding fades to live concert recordings or editing songs that run together, I recommend this popular application:

Audacity.

All of this software I’ve listed is free. There are a lot of “all in one” suites out there you can pay for, but my experience is that they always leave some very important feature out, causing you to regret the money you spent.

1 Like

The very best guide for setting up EAC is at The Coaster Factory:

The Coaster Factory

Get it while it’s hot!

Thank you everyone for the replys they have been helpful. Thank you Bob, I downloaded codec and now I can rip in mp3 thanks again.

You can rip audiobook cd to mp3 easily as long as you have the DRM Audio Converter for Windows

this software can convert cd to mp3 with 5X speed and keep lossless quality. 

After you have added songs to your fuze, it couldn’t easier to convert audio files to MP3 with a professional Mac Audio Converter, which can not only convert songs to MP3, but also convert Apple Music, iTunes audiobooks, Audible files to MP3 and other common audio files, like FLAC, WAV, AAC, etc. 

So that you can listen to your music on all devices. 

You can just use iTunes to burn CDs to MP3. But if you want to burn streaming music (e.g.Tidal) to MP3, you can try to use this Tidal Music Converter, which is compatible with the latest Tidal app to burn CD from Tidal.

The trouble to me is about how to convert Spotify to MP3 or burn Spotify to CD. Fortunately, now you can use free Spotify Music Converter to burn music and convert to MP3, AAC, WAV, FLAC, M4A, M4B, etc and play offline without premium. 

1 Like

The trouble to me is about how to convert Spotify to MP3 or burn Spotify to CD. Fortunately, now you can use free Spotify Music Converter to burn music and convert to MP3, AAC, WAV, FLAC, M4A, M4B, etc and play offline without premium. 

Just try Tunelf Tidal Music Converter! It can enable you to save music from Tidal to files without a Premium subscription and then transfer Tidal songs to CD for burning.