Connection fustrations

I have an issue with my Fuze, one that happened occassionally with Windows XP, and lots of times now with my new Windows 7 laptop. I want to connect my Fuze, for charging and for syncing. I use MTP mode, with WMP (v11 on XP, at least that on W7, not sure of the version). I will plug the Fuze into the USB port, but instead of getting the “connected” screen, it just basically turns on. If I disconnect and reconnect, sometimes it will work, but other times (like this morning) it just doesn’t. Works fine one day, then doesn’t work another day. It is inconsistent, and fustrating, when you need to change up music on the player.

Any idea what causes this behavior? And how to avoid it? The player will charge when connected like that, but I need it to be able to sync. Help anyone? This is fustrating the heck out of me.

It could be the cable since you are having the same issue with two computers already.

Always plug the laptop into ac power before connecting the mp3 player. When on battery power, many notebooks cut the usb ports to USB1 which is slow and low power. Also check the power saving settings on the notebook. Depending on the settings, the notebook will revert the usb ports to USB1 to save power. USB1 typically doesn’t put out enough power to charge the mp3 player.

The laptop is connected to power. That should not be the issue. The player is charging fine, that isn’t the issue. The issue is that I am not getting “connected”, the mode with the black screen and the connected message, that allows me to sync music to it.

If it is the cable, are the cables sold somewhere that would be easy to pick one up? I seem to recall people mentioning that they have done so, wondering where I might get one.

Have you tried using a different USB cable?

Never use MTP mode myself.  Way too many problems and I learned early on to stay with MSC.

But I’m a dummy and like things simple…

If you are in the US, you may be able to find the cable at Best Buy or Radio Shack. But they’ll be more expensive than if you get one online–try Amazon. A generic one is fine just as long as it is made for the Sansa Fuze or E200–NOT an iPod cable.

There are four wires in a USB cable…

Two provide 5 volts power. If your Fuze sees this, it will turn ON automatically.

Two provide USB Data. If your Fuze sees these, it will try to negotiate a connection with the computer.

Based on your post, one of the Data wires in your cable is intermittent.

LyleHaze

@lylehaze wrote:

There are four wires in a USB cable…

Two provide 5 volts power. If your Fuze sees this, it will turn ON automatically.

Two provide USB Data. If your Fuze sees these, it will try to negotiate a connection with the computer.

Based on your post, one of the Data wires in your cable is intermittent.

LyleHaze

Thank you. That’s makes perfect sense. I appreciate the info. I will look into a replacement cable, and see how that works for me.