Connecting to your Computer

To connect the Sansa player to your computer, follow these steps:

1. Connect the smaller end of the Sansa cable into an available USB port on your
    computer.
  2. Connect the larger end of the Sansa cable into the dock connector of your player.
  3. Your Sansa player will show “Connected” on the display screen and appear in My
    Computer as a Portable Media Player.

This is what the user guide says:

It all works until I get to 

and appear in My
Computer as a Portable Media Player.

BUT It DOES NOT show up in MY COMPUTER AS A PORTABLE MEDIA PLAYER

What did I do wrong?

Those instructions assume you have Windows Media Player 10 or 11. If you have Windows XP and never updated, it has Windows Media Player 9. If you have an even older Windows, well…

But here’s what I suggest. Turn on the player. Go to Settings/USB Mode and change it (it’s probably on Auto or MTP) to MSC. Then connect it. It should show up in My Computer as two drives. The first one is the unit’s internal memory. The second is the card slot, whether or not you have a card in it.

MSC makes it work like a flash drive–you can drag and drop things over to it, or sync and do playlists with Winamp or Media Monkey. 

MTP works with Windows Media Player. If you want to do that, you’ll have to make sure you have WMP 10 or 11 (free from Micro$oft) and put it back in MTP mode. 

Ok…I found my Windows Media Player and it says it is version 10

if have Windows Media Player 10 do I need to do this?
Message Edited by Mrbill15 on 06-29-2009 01:59 PM

@black_rectangle wrote:

MSC makes it work like a flash drive–you can drag and drop things over to it, or sync and do playlists with Winamp or Media Monkey. 

MTP works with Windows Media Player. If you want to do that, you’ll have to make sure you have WMP 10 or 11 (free from Micro$oft) and put it back in MTP mode. 

You can still use Windows Media Player with MSC mode…unless you use playlists.  If you want to use WMP to make your playlists, then MTP is a requirement.

Thanks guys

I thougth I could figure it out but I guess Im not as smart as I thought I was.

This is my first devise like this and Im lost.

Can someone give me a link to somewhere I can follow some very basic instructions. 

I guess I need sandisk fuze for dummies

ROFLCOPTER!!! LOL!!!  sandisk fuze 4 dummies!!! great ideab

@mrbill15 wrote:

Thanks guys

I thougth I could figure it out but I guess Im not as smart as I thought I was.

This is my first devise like this and Im lost.

Can someone give me a link to somewhere I can follow some very basic instructions. 

I guess I need sandisk fuze for dummies