Computer crashes when plugging in Sansa

For the last week or so whenever I plug in my Sansa fuze my Computer crashes and gives me a Blue screen of death referring to poorly installed devices and such. I’ve tried every USB port and have set the Fuze to all possible settings and it continues to do this.

Any advice?

Reinstall windows.

… and people look at me funny when I say windows ■■■■■…

Becuase this stuff would never happen on an Apple, right?

Windows rocks. And rocks even harder with Windows7.

Windows7 changes everything.

Anyway: If a computer crashs when you connect a device to USB it usually indicates broken USB ports, not a bad driver. Can you plug something else into the USB port with no problem?

Yes actually.

My wireless mouse is plugged in to the same port right now. 

@peregrine wrote:

Becuase this stuff would never happen on an Apple, right?

Windows rocks. And rocks even harder with Windows7.

Windows7 changes everything.

Anyway: If a computer crashs when you connect a device to USB it usually indicates broken USB ports, not a bad driver. Can you plug something else into the USB port with no problem?

Oh Apples have it worse, if something breaks your only option is to take it to a store. See, with Linux, if there’s a hardware problem the hardware will be disabled and the errors will be logged, as long as the hardware isn’t critical to the operation of the system, it won’t crash the computer. I’ve fried USB ports before and still had a fully running server. That said, I do hold out hope that Win7 will be worth my time. I like it so far, I haven’t crashed it once yet! MS might have done proper this time around.

Back to the question at hand, with windows, if it bluescreens, it is a driver problem. Technology has come so far today that if the hardware was bad and the drivers were well written, it would just give you an error along the lines of “unable to initialize the device” and that would be that.

If you can find the device in the device manager, you should be able to remove it, and the drivers should reinstall when you plug it in again. I’m not a windows (I just use it to play games every now and then) guy any more so someone else should elaborate on this.

Sounds like you have a conflict issue going on there.  It’s possible that two applications are fighting over the recognized Sansa, or the driver may simply be corrupted.

If you were using Auto Detect or MTP, you can switch the device over to MSC mode to see if the Sansa is communicating normally.  Settings > System Settings > USB Mode > MSC, on the Fuze.  In this mode, the Sansa should be seen as a flash drive.

Remember the quirk of MTP versus MSC mode: from the PC, you won’t be able to see your music that was transferred in the other mode.

Have you installed any new software recently?

µsansa