Clicks between tracks, quick fade ins (and, hopefully, gapless playback)

Hi,

Received my Sansa Fuze 8GB last week and slotted a 16GB card in. I upgraded the firmware straight away and I’m using Ogg for all my music files, and everything works well, apart from a couple of niggles.

I’m getting “clicks” between tracks - I can’t decide whether these are from the end of the file being played or the start of the new song.

When I hit play after turning the Fuze on I don’t get a click, so I guess it could be at the end of the file.

If I play songs on my PC (Cool Edit Pro) from the folder on the Fuze I hear no clicks at the beginning or the end of the song. So I assume that the Fuze is generating them somehow.

I also notice that there seems to be a fade in at the start of songs with the Fuze. Normally this doesn’t matter, but a couple of files have the music right at the beginning of the file (0.035 seconds!) and these seem to fade in - it’s only around 0.1 second of fade in, but is noticeable.

With gapless playback, all these problems (hopefully) will be solved, at least for flac and ogg as the song lengths are identical, unlike mp3s.

I make the big assumption that the “easy” way to do gapless playback is to create a small buffer (10MB), dump the files in there and then play everything from the buffer. I have a Squeezebox and I believe that’s how they do it.

I understand from perusing the forums that gapless playback for flac and ogg is being looked at, but would appreciate your comments on the clicks between tracks and the fast fade in that I hear on some songs.

Best wishes,

Nobby

Yours is the first to mention a ‘fade-in’ issue. Nobody else (to my knowledge) has said anything about it, but the ‘clicks’ issue may be fixed in the next firmware release due out (hopefully) next week.

I also don’t recall that the dev. team are working on gapless playback, but I could’ve missed that. :wink:

Yours is the first to mention a ‘fade-in’ issue. Nobody else (to my knowledge) has said anything about it, but the ‘clicks’ issue may be fixed in the next firmware release due out (hopefully) next week.

I also don’t recall that the dev. team are working on gapless playback, but I could’ve missed that.

As you are new here, you may or may not know that there is an issue that happens with the higher memory capacities. The Sansas (all) have a recognizable file/song limit of +/- 4000 songs. People ripping at low bit-rates are running into this ‘ceiling’ where the player will not recognize or acknowledge the additional songs (above the limit), meaning you won’t find them in your on-board menus, nor will they play. They WILL fit on the card OK, but you can’t use them. :cry:

SanDisk is now aware of this, and are working on it, but also say it’s not a simple issue and will require some time. So don’t get a big hurry to fill’er up. :wink:

Thanks for your reply.

I only have 1700 songs on my Fuze and knew about the 4000 song limit as I tried to get through as much of the forum as possible before making my purchase. The ogg/flac playback was a big deal breaker. :slight_smile:

Here’s the relevant post about gapless.

The “fade in” issue is very minor, but may rear it’s ugly head if gapless playback can be implemented.

Message Edited by Nobby on 12-04-2008 04:36 PM

Thanks for the link Nobby , I DO remember that now. :smiley:

If sansafix reads this,

Nobby spoke about gapless vorbis and FLAC but if you ever start to work on it please don’t forget LAME mp3 ( Gapless playback isn’t in the MPEG specifications concerning mp3 but ENC_DELAY and ENC_PADDING values in LAME headers make true gapless playback possible).