Christmas time! Fuze 2nd Generation Wish List Sansa Santa

The database refresh time was an issue on my Archos 704 pmp player. It would take forever… But was fixed with one of their F/W update. Now, refresh progress slow down only on new/changed files but takes just a few seconds. I think they changed the logic how file’s metadata was parsed. Probably they are checking CRC value of the file first. If different – re-read metadada. 

Personally I’d use folder navigation or playlists. I think Sansa should change or optimize their code… or drop support for tags db. As the capacity will increase and 4000 files limitation may take longer to fix. I’m thinking twice before unplugging my sansa. Only have 4gb int. + 4gb ext.  

The sansa’s read/write speed is ~ 4mb/s. This is true for internal and external memory. The very the same external card runs at ~ 8mb/s if used with usb card reader.  

The db refresh takes long time for internal memory as well. I was testing video capabilities and it was very annoying to wait every time. So, I only kept video files on the internal card and the uSD was removed during the video test.   

So, I don’t see any performance drop using uSD/SD card as the only memory. What matter is the amount of audio files. The more files - the longer it takes…