Charging Problem with Wall Adapter

Hi, I recently got a Fuze 8GB…I figured that instead of having to keep plugging in the Fuze to a computer that you could connect it to one of those USB Wall Adapter Plugs. Well I bought one and plugged it in. It worked the 1st day but after that day it stopped working. Basically I plug it in and it says Writing…and then it say Connected. The charging lightning sign doesn’t come up and it drained like 10% of my battery. I might have changed a setting but not fully sure…and I left it on for like a day in the wall when I realised that it had drained the battery.

Thanks

Oh and by the way I did search but couldn’t find it.

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:06 PM

Try a new USB cable too. I usually try to buy wall and car USB adapters with detatchable cables so I can use different devices with the same charger. If you have one of those, you could try a new cable.

You think its a problem with the charger? You think that its not providing enough power for the Fuze? Where am I supposed to get a new cable…I dont think its the cables fault, its probably the charger…Ok thanks for the advice guys, if anyone else has anymore please tell me Thanks.

I’d say the cable is bad.

When you plug it into the wall charger, all that should be going through the cable, is power. The Fuze should not show the “writing” and “connected” messages. What’s it got to connect to?

Plugging it into the wall charger should only give you the lighning bolt.

Sounds like the OP is using a universal USB charger and the cable that came with the Fuze. If the charger is a ■■■■ kind (and most of the cheap ones are) then something may get shorted, causing the ‘connected’ msg.

I had a cheap wall charger that popped. I can smell the burned PCB. It took out a Fuze.

Ohh…Hmmm…but I bought my Fuze from PC World, I didnt get it from a dodgy website lol…SO you suggest buying a new cable? Do any of you know where I can get a cheap cable then please (a good quality one that should work obv)?

Thanks for your help 

Message Edited by Truez on 03-10-2010 08:57 PM

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:06 PM

Ok I get your point Tom lol…Yes Ill buy a new charger…Thankyou everyone!

Some chargers have pullup resistors on the data lines to cause the Fuze to think it’s connected. I know this from experience - it’s typically the ones designed for phones. I had one like this and found that by cutting the traces for the two middle (data) lines it started to work correctly. You could also use a modified cable where the two middle lines are cut. I also tested this first by taping the two middle pins to see if it would work before making the mod. Once the Fuze detects it’s connected but cannot actually connect with this type of adapter it stops it from charging at all. I found this small mod fixed this and now it works fine. Hope this helps.

@csavery wrote:
Some chargers have pullup resistors on the data lines to cause the Fuze to think it’s connected. I know this from experience - it’s typically the ones designed for phones. I had one like this and found that by cutting the traces for the two middle (data) lines it started to work correctly. You could also use a modified cable where the two middle lines are cut. I also tested this first by taping the two middle pins to see if it would work before making the mod. Once the Fuze detects it’s connected but cannot actually connect with this type of adapter it stops it from charging at all. I found this small mod fixed this and now it works fine. Hope this helps.

My time is money.  I don’t know about the original poster, but unless you are doing the above for fun, or to see if it can be done; why bother?; those chargers are beyond cheap.  And for the record, I’ve purchased several…and knock on wood…have never had one fail.

But, if you like to tinker with stuff…have fun…

Whatever guy. I was just posting info to help. Sorry if your time is so valuable that you can’t bother 10 seconds to stick a piece of tape on the pins. Blah blah blah. Don’t know why you bothered posting. Go buy a new one or whatever turns your crank.

I had to Google to find out what a pull-up resistor was…

…yep there’s a pull-down one too…

The things you learn on the Internet.