Can't get to main menu: Frozen on Not enough space for music DB

Trying to get to the main menu of my Fuze so I can format it, however, on startup i get the “Not enough space for music DB” error, then it shuts off.  Connecting to the computer provides no access to device, and I’ve tried to manually change the usb mode by placing the power slider into the hold position and holding << while plugging into the computer, to no avail.  Completely stumped, have no idea how I can get to my Fuze menu so I can fix this problem.

Message Edited by OOmhp on 06-07-2010 11:38 PM

My Sansa Fuze did the same thing on Sunday.

OOmhp wrote: 
. . . and I’ve tried to manually change the usb mode by placing the power slider into the hold position and holding << while plugging into the computer, to no avail.

Keep trying. It helps to start with the player off. Keep holding the |<< button down until it is recognized by the computer.

I took a different approach, when my friend’s Clip was frozen this way. Since all the music was backed up, and I also had the latest firmware update saved, I simply plugged it in, and formatted it with Windows, so it was a completely empty drive. After that, it was quickly evident that the problem was solved…so I then installed the firmware, unplugged it, to let it install, then I plugged it back in and reloaded all the music.

This may or may not work with everyone’s frozen Sansa , however…so I take no responsibility if you try it and it doesn’t work.

Thanks for the replies,

Tapeworm, I have tried this multiple times with no luck.  Screen remains frozen at error, and computer never detects device.

Marvin, I don’t have the ability to do this because I cannot get my computer to recognize the device, have tried on multiple computers. 

Message Edited by OOmhp on 06-08-2010 09:58 AM

Just for fun, try the steps listed in this post. It may not work, but it doesn’t cost anything other than a few seconds to try.

I tried that with multiple button combinations, no cigar :frowning:

HOWEVER, I did stumble upon something.  I attempted to manually change the usb mode by holding down |<< with the power in the hold position again, only this time I very slowly inserted the usb power cord until it powered up (the cord was only about halfway in the charging slot when it does this), I did not push it all the way into the device.  This actually brought me to the “refresh your media” display, however it seems to freeze immediately as I left it refreshing for about 30 mins and the bar didn’t move one bit.  It also doesn’t grant me access to my device using my PC.