Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: Can't download music or firmware update--(Fuze a nightmare to figure out)

[ Edited ]

If you come from ipod world, you have to convert existed data in AAC file format to mp3 file, which can be done by the newest itune software too.

To me, Sansa is much better and offers more functionalities, like Radio, Recorder and Memory Expanding.

If you are rich, you can always pay more for less, lol.

Message Edited by kevin02454 on 12-26-2008 07:45 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

As many have said, if you start from the perspective that the Sansa is NOT a Mac product and doesn't work that well with the Mac tools, you'll do better.  Just remember that you can't download to your Nano with Windows Media Player either.  Neither product is all that compatible with the other.

Now, rip a CD in Windows Media Player

Plug your Sansa into your computer

Sync your Sansa with your newly ripped songs.

Unplug your Sansa

Press play.

It works.

If you stop and realize that you have a player from as different a world as the Mac is from the PC, open your mind to that, you'll like your player.  But you have to unblock this mental resistance you seem to have about this player.  It IS a good player, easily as good as the Ipods.

Highlighted

Re: Can't download music or firmware update

I've read through this thread, because I have the same error message (1003).  I read how to download manually, but where is the root directory on my fuze?  When I open the internal memory, I only have folders for music etc.

Do I just slap it in the internal memory (not in a folder)?

Highlighted
SanDisk User

@Kaycee1976 wrote:

I've read through this thread, because I have the same error message (1003).  I read how to download manually, but where is the root directory on my fuze?  When I open the internal memory, I only have folders for music etc.

Yes, the internal memory folder containing music folder is the root folder.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

All you have to do is download the latest version of Rhapsody. Note: you have to be a computer administrator and make sure that your internet and proxy or firewall allow rhapsody and real networks. After you download it then you can click on library and it'll have an option to upload all the music from itunes to rhapsody. After that you can try to sync it to your fuze.

Hope this helps! : ) 

Highlighted

Copying music to the Sansa is as simple as dragging and dropping.

1. Connect your sansa to the computer

2. Open Windows Explorer

3. Click on My Computer (XP and earlier) or just Computer (Vista and later)

4. Open the "Sansa Fuze xGB" Drive that should be listed under your computer

5. Open the "Internal Memory" folder

6. Open the "Music" folder

7. Copy your music (in a compatible format - sansa supports MP3, WAV, WMA, secure WMA and Audible) into this folder

DONE!

You can sync with Yahoo! Music, Microsoft Windows Media Player, and a host of other players automatically (assuming compatible format).

While I'll hand it to Apple for the ease of use of iTunes Music Store, many of the other stores are usable such as emusic, napster, puretracks, passalong, and many other online stores that sell music in a compatible format. While some record labels require their music to have DRM, many will offer them in the secure WMA format. All of the stores mentioned above can all be accesed from within Windows Media Player (version 11 required for Audible) by selecting the righmost option in the menu in Windows Media Player (usaually has text "Media Guide" but can change if you visited help, online stores, etc.). In this drop down menu item you will find "Browse all Online Stores". This is where you will find online stores to purchase music. Not at all different from iTunes except you don't have to update the iTunes every 2 days (ok that was a cheap shot but come on is anyone else getting tired of updating iTunes every time you turn around?) 

As for the Firmware update not working: 

To update firmware you simply download the firmware file for your revision (1.xxxx or 2.xxxx) from the sandisk site and copy the fuzea.bin file into the "Internal Memory" folder and unplug the fuze from your computer and the firmware will be updated automatically. You will see "Firmware upgrade in progress" when you disconnect from your computer... easy.

There are plenty of other music managers that will keep your library in Sync (an example is MediaMonkey)-- some free, some you have to buy.

Hope that helps.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@Kaycee1976 wrote:

That's it exactly. If it is showing as 'internal memory', then your player is in MTP mode; a little different from MSC, but you should still be able to update the firmware. Just drag the extracted .zip file (should now be a .bin file) from wherever you've stored it (your Desktop is convenient) to the blank area next to, but not in the folders you see.

Done. Un-plug your Fuze and wait for the magic to happen. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Ok, so now I have version 1.01.07A by installing the firmware from the link.  Is that the most recent firmware upgrade?

BTW:  thanks for all the great and fast responses!

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@metalzoa78 wrote:

All you have to do is download the latest version of Rhapsody. Note: you have to be a computer administrator and make sure that your internet and proxy or firewall allow rhapsody and real networks. After you download it then you can click on library and it'll have an option to upload all the music from itunes to rhapsody. After that you can try to sync it to your fuze.

Hope this helps! : ) 

I hope you are talking ONLY about the software and NOT signing up for another propriatary subscription DRM-crippled mess to try and straighten out & convert the Apple files. Even so, this approach sounds like intentionally trying to catch the flu just to get rid of a cold.
Highlighted

Me, no...I don't have itunes.  I'm a media player kind of girl Smiley Happy  Media player seems to be the easiest way to go!