Can't add music

I just bought this Sansa Fuze this afternoon, I got it plugged into my PC ok, and when it gave me a popup saying that the high speed USB was unavailable I just ignored it and chose to use, Windows Media Player to help me move my music over to the media player. Now I’ve been trying for the last few hours to add some. But I don’t choose to add music to any of the folders that say Music, Playlists and such, I did those and they don’t work either. I add the music to it and it shows up on the menu. But it won’t play saying that there are no songs avaiable.

It’s pretty irretating. Can someone help. I don’t have one of those cards though, I just plugged it into the machine and tried. I don’t have to get one of those damned cards do I, the player should be enough.

Are you using XP with service pack 2? You need usb 2.0. If you are using WMP just drag the files from your library to the sync list and click sync at the bottom

I’m actually using SP3 and have win media 10. and I dont see the sync thing either. I just used the copy to button on the media player. and it puts it into the main directory with all the folders not in them.

@sansaconfuse wrote:
I’m actually using SP3 and have win media 10. and I dont see the sync thing either. I just used the copy to button on the media player. and it puts it into the main directory with all the folders not in them.

I use sp3 as well thats why i was asking I know most dont even know it exists… if it is just sticking the files in the main directory try to move them into the music folder and nothing else. Also what kind of files are they (mp3,m4a, wav etc.)? This could be part of the issue

I did try and they show up on the list but whenever I try to play them, I try it and it either says no song or it says [empty]. and I’m using Mp3

Ok. Did you Upgrade the Firmwire? If you did try to install it again maybe there was a glitch, then resync the music in the appropriate the folder. If you didnt update it. Then try again

That small disc that came in the package? I put that in, but all it was, was just some disc for online music or at least I thought. I had no idea I was suppose to install it. umm…I’ll try it later on and i’m sorry for wasting your time Conversion Box .

If I install it, will it work then?

For mp3 files, just copy and paste the files into the music folder of the player using Windows Explorer or My Computer. Windows Media Player is good for making mp3 files from music Cds, however I don’t recommend using it to transfer mp3 files to the player. 

@sansaconfuse wrote:

That small disc that came in the package? I put that in, but all it was, was just some disc for online music or at least I thought. I had no idea I was suppose to install it. umm…I’ll try it later on and i’m sorry for wasting your time Conversion Box .

If I install it, will it work then?

You can ignore the small disc that came in the package, which is just advertised music service.

Just copy your music to Music Directory of Sansa, isn’t loading that simple?

Message Edited by kevin02454 on 12-26-2008 03:00 PM

Message Edited by kevin02454 on 12-26-2008 03:02 PM

I don’t get the music directory thing in my computer. It auto detects the thing and asks me what I want to load with. Then if I choose win media it will ask me what files I want to transfer and do that. And then it won’t show up anywhere no matter where I ask it to. I don’t get a thing telling me where the internal memory is, like the manual said. So I can’t ask it.

God this is such a nightmare…

So you may have to buy an ipod, which offers a good software to do things automatically but at a much higher price.

Sansa charges you less and offers you more functionalities, as a tradeoff, you have to learn something of your computer before playing well with it.

You have to know where your music files (.mp3) are stored in your computer, then copy your music files to Music folder of Sansa.

@sansaconfuse wrote:

I don’t get the music directory thing in my computer. It auto detects the thing and asks me what I want to load with. Then if I choose win media it will ask me what files I want to transfer and do that. And then it won’t show up anywhere no matter where I ask it to. I don’t get a thing telling me where the internal memory is, like the manual said. So I can’t ask it.

God this is such a nightmare…

"I don’t get the music directory thing in my computer. It auto detects the thing and asks me what I want to load with. Then if I choose win media it will ask me what files I want to transfer and do that. And then it won’t show up anywhere no matter where I ask it to. I don’t get a thing telling me where the internal memory is, like the manual said. So I can’t ask it. "

You can close that window though, and start Windows Explorer(right click on start, click on explore). When you have windows explorer open, just find your music(i guess it is probably in my documents, my music, or something like that. Then just select the mp3 songs you want to copy to the player, right click and choose copy, then find the player’s music folder in windows eplorer, right click on it and choose paste. This is so easy!

@sansaconfuse wrote:

The problem with trying to trouble shoot problems in a forum is making sure we understand precisely what you are doing.  Try this and let us know where along the process something different happens:

When you attach the Fuze, Windows will pop up a window asking what you want to do.  Cancel that window; do not pick one of the options.  Open My Computer.  If you have not changed the USB type on your Fuze, the Fuze will connect in MTP (media transfer protocol) mode.  You should see an icon at the bottom of My Computer, under a heading of “Other,”  saying “Sansa Fuze 8gb” (or whatever memory size you have).

Double-click on the Sansa device at the bottom.   Windows Explorer should give you another window with one device named “Internal Memory.”  Double-click on that device.  Now you will see a number of folders, including Music.  Try dragging and dropping some mp3 files to the Music directory, disconnect the Fuze, and see if that music now plays when you select it by Artist, Genre, or Song.

Do not try playlists just yet.  There are problems that programs like WMP produce playlists that don’t work without some manual adjustments to the playlists.  If you select a playlist, you’ll see “[Empty]” for the list.

If that doesn’t work, and if you are willing to lose any music, photos, or videos currently on your player, go through this sequence:  Set the player to MSC (Settings -> System Settings -> USB) instead of Auto-Detect.  Format the player (Settings -> System Settings -> Format) to clean everything off and start fresh.  Connect the Fuze to your computer and again dismiss the Windows popup.  Open My Computer.  In the section “Devices with Removable Storage,” you’ll see “SANSA FUZE” with a drive letter assigned.  Double-click on that drive and you’ll see Music and other folders and files.  Drag some mp3 files to that Music folder and try playing the music.

One oddity about the Fuze: if you add any music in MTP mode, then change the player to MSC mode, you won’t be able to see the music added in MTP mode in Windows Explorer.  Vice versa too.  So stick with one mode.

Dragging and dropping files works but quickly becomes tiring.  While some suggest Windows Media Player as a program to synchronize music files from your computer to the player, I strongly prefer Media Monkey instead.

Hope this helps.

It would have helped if I hadn’t gotten it to work through the Best Buy Media program. But I would like to thank you all so much. For the help.

You can try MusConv. Move and Transfer your tracks and playlists to Apple Music, Spotify, Google Music and more for free with MusConv tool

Could I confirm where your music sources come from? And what format your music files are encoded in? Please make sure they are stored in MP3 or other Windows Media Player and your Sansa Fuze compatible audio files. Besides, some files are protected so you can’t play them on Sansa Fuze. In this case, you need to transfer them to common audio files.
Take Spotify as an example, you need to use Spotify Converter to convert Spotify music to Sansa Fuze compatible files, like MP3. After that, you can use play them via Windows Media Player with ease.