Cable modification

Hi there,

My cars cd player (kenwood kdc-mp5028) has an input for a cd changer(30 pin male din i think). several other models offer mp3 player support but not mine. currently i have it hooked up through the rca inputs and it works quite well but i want to be able to control the fuze through the deck.

So my question is: since i believe both the ipod and the fuze have 30 pin connectors (different attaching points) and the ipod offers a cable that connects to my deck through the cd changer input, is it possible to use the “head” of the fuze connector and the cable of the ipod in order to attach it to the deck? has this ever been tried? I love my fuze but they didnt exhist when i bought my car lol.

@yidders wrote:

Hi there,

My cars cd player (kenwood kdc-mp5028) has an input for a cd changer(30 pin male din i think). several other models offer mp3 player support but not mine. currently i have it hooked up through the rca inputs and it works quite well but i want to be able to control the fuze through the deck.

So my question is: since i believe both the ipod and the fuze have 30 pin connectors (different attaching points) and the ipod offers a cable that connects to my deck through the cd changer input, is it possible to use the “head” of the fuze connector and the cable of the ipod in order to attach it to the deck? has this ever been tried? I love my fuze but they didnt exhist when i bought my car lol.

No. The cables for iPods are wired differently than Sansa cables, and your Sansa could fry as a result of combining it with an iPud cable. :smiley:

yes i know the regular ipod cable un modified will wreck the fuze, but what of figuring out the neccesary wires and splicing the sansa connector in place of the ipod connector? if for no other reason than hooking it to the car stereo i mean.

@yidders wrote:
yes i know the regular ipod cable un modified will wreck the fuze, but what of figuring out the neccesary wires and splicing the sansa connector in place of the ipod connector? if for no other reason than hooking it to the car stereo i mean.

That’s out of my league. It may be possible to do, but I don’t know enough to do it :smiley:

Taken from HF site:

Originally Posted by upstateguy

Is it possible to make a Fuze - ipod adapter? Could you put an ipod dock on the other end of your cable?

I have a quick look at iPod’s pinout, and I think it is possible to create a male(Fuze)-to-female(iPod) connector just to get the line-out signal. All you need to do is wire:

1. Pin 27 (Fuze) to pin 3 (iPod).
  2. Pin 28 (Fuze) to pin 4 (iPod)
  3. Pin 29 (Fuze) to pin 2 (iPod)

It was in this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sansa-fuzes-diylod-v1-v2-guide-56k-407873/index2.html

There was a thread on here and Im sure it still is about a DIY line out cable. That may help you. I would guess it could be done but As marvin said This is out of my league. If you want to find that thready Just search DIY Line out on these boards

that was quick thanks, im still looking into it but if i try anything ill let everyone know.

The ipod-Fuze adaption shown above won’t work and the Kenwood connection won’t work. The ipod adpater has to have an enable line for pin7 on the Fuze. The connections shown are for audio signal only with no connection to turn them on. If your Kenwood is one the older models that connect to Kenwood CD changers and music keg HDs, you are out of luck too. I have a KDC-X659 that probably has the same connector you describe. They use proprietery communication that IIRC is sent down serial lines. There is no way to control the Fuze unless it has a serial 2 way link and the hardware/firmware to process the link. Newer Kenwoods have a USB connection to communicate and can read the Fuze like a external drive and may do a limited amount of basic controlling. I have not dealt with the newer USB units, because my old Kenwood refuses to quit and I feed it on the Aux-In RCAs when I use a portable with it.

ya i think i bought the wrong deck lol, oh well ill keep using the aux inputs. thank for the help everyone.