CES 2009: SD Association Announces 2TB Memory Card Standard for Phones

It would be worth it though to have that many ringtones…dude…you could have the entire Black Sabbath discography as a ringtone

A terabyte microSD card would blow my mind. Hoping I can get one for under $100 in a year.

@lukev wrote:
A terabyte microSD card would blow my mind. Hoping I can get one for under $100 in a year.

You’d be hard pressed to find a TB hard drive for a computer under $100, wouldn’t you?. So microsdhc, don’t hold your breath:stuck_out_tongue:

1TB? Just give me one that can hold 100gigs and I would be happy.

As far is i can tell the new tb cards will not be sdhc format but actually sdxc or something with a 64fat system they will not be compatible with the fuze! and the fuze UI not supporting more then 4000 songs would be a major issue!

Thanks Feelin’ I was waiting for someone to answer my question :wink:

Message Edited by Byte on 01-09-2009 05:58 PM

The density of memory devices is nothing short of miraculous.  Some of you may remember what a late 60s core memory module looked like:

Magnetic core memory got us to the Moon.  I have some of those wee ferrite doughnuts somewhere around.  To have gone from these babies, with their copper matrix of read / write wires, to TTL, then CMOS, then to the latest NAND flash memory, in as short a time as it really has been…incredible.

I’m feeling old.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know if you have all understood well the news :frowning:

SD Association announced that they have finished the specification for a new sd card format (sdxc) which could contain up to 2TB. Any object (mp3 player, camera,…) which support thissdxc card will be able to read these 2TB cards but actually we don’t have the technology to produce this capacity. We surely have (lot of) years to wait before having the possibility to see one card of this capacity (and at which price?).

The good news is that this standard will last lots of times and we won’t be obliged to buy all the time new products…

@neutron_bob wrote:

The density of memory devices is nothing short of miraculous.  Some of you may remember what a late 60s core memory module looked like:

Magnetic core memory got us to the Moon.  I have some of those wee ferrite doughnuts somewhere around.  To have gone from these babies, with their copper matrix of read / write wires, to TTL, then CMOS, then to the latest NAND flash memory, in as short a time as it really has been…incredible.

I’m feeling old.

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. I want one. :robothappy:

“” A terabyte microSD card would blow my mind. Hoping I can get one for under $100 in a year.  

"

8 years ago a 64 meg compact flash card was $200. Now a 32 gig SDHC card is around $100. So the cost per gig went from $3200 to around $3.20. That worked out to a geometric average  price decline of around 58% per year. I guess that means that for mid to larger capacity cards(but not the largest size), we should expect to see prices around $1 a gig a year from now. A terabyte card for $100 is probably around 4 years away. What would I use a terabyte card for? My 8 megapixel camera gets around 250 photos on a one gig card at its highest setting(besides raw).Even using a 4 gig card in it and having around 1,000 photo capacity seems like too much. Will I have a 40 megapixel digital camera 4 years from now? Even that wouldn’t need such a large card. At 256 kbps, one gets around 9 hours of music per gig. Would I want an mp3 player to have 9,000 hours of music(135,000 songs at an average length of 4 minutes each) on it?

It might be good for an SLR camera, or a Hard Drive based Video Camera. IMO still not worth it.

I know I started this thread but what about a longer lasting better battery?

I think I want that more than more memory.

Has anyone heard about any progress in that area?

There are mp3 players available now with battery life up to 60 hours. Of course a player that runs on a AA or AAA battery can provide very long run times just by carrying a few spare batteries. Of course longer run times with a built in battery usually means a smaller screen. Basic alphanumeric LCD screens would consume very little power.

OK, a smaller screen would not be good. After I asked the battery question I went to Google and found this:

"A new generation of MP3 players could provide music lovers with millions of songs at their fingertips, it was revealed today.

Scientists have developed a way of dramatically increasing the memory on iPods and other gadgets while retaining their small size.

Future devices could store 150,000 times the amount of current models, according to researchers at Glasgow University.

They have created a tiny switch which would see 500,000-one million gigabytes squeezed on to one square inch.

The current limit is around 3.3 gigabytes…the rest is here"

here is more. Nothing on batteries yet I’m still reading

Message Edited by Byte on 01-10-2009 10:26 PM

Message Edited by Byte on 01-10-2009 10:28 PM

WOW!!! I thought I would never see one of these again.  While in the Air Force (83-89) I was in intermidate avionics maintenance on the F-111.  Our comp was borrowed from the Saturn rocket program.  We had two main computers, each computer had 16k of main memory.  Each comp serviced up to 8 avionic test stations which we called up test programs via hex addressing, that ran an array of diagnostics and calibration routines. My focus was TFR (Terain Following Radar). Eventually they went to stand-alone pc based platforms, then dump the bird into the Nevada Desert.

The F-111 proved itself a true workhorse.  Most folks don’t realize just how BIG that bird is, as the landing gear are much larger than one would think.

The AN/AVQ-26 Pave Tack system used with the '111 made it a dangerous and capable adversary.

The use of fly by wire technology, used in the XB-70, a little-known bird today, was digital, transferred from that program to the Apollo flight controls.

I am jealous.  I would have loved to work on those birds in the day!

…and now a word from our sponsor: The µSDXC format is pretty cool, huh?  Incredible density.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

shame they’ve gone for exFAT

2 TB on a memory card? Very illogical, if that was true, then no need for any other MP3 player.

@pringles wrote:
2 TB on a memory card? Very illogical, if that was true, then no need for any other MP3 player.

You will need a player of some type to use the card, as a portable media

The possibilities are endless.  Think of a future generation Sansa expanded to navigate that large memory.  One could have a “Movies” option under Video, improved capability to store both a high resolution version photo plus the downsized onscreen version…

It isn’t, at the terabyte level, just a nuts-and-bolts issue, with 64 bit addresses, perhaps the user interface will need expansion too.  Navigating through all that data will be a wee bit more confusing.

I look forward to the future.  In the meantime, I’m putting the earbuds back on!