Bug while playing ogg files

I’ve found a bug while playing ogg files. If the backlight is off, instead of skipping to the next track when the current track finishes, the current track just repeats. This does not happen if the backlight is on.

The firmware I’m using is V01.01.22F. Is this a known issue?

@oneiris wrote:

I’ve found a bug while playing ogg files. If the backlight is off, instead of skipping to the next track when the current track finishes, the current track just repeats. This does not happen if the backlight is on.

The firmware I’m using is V01.01.22F. Is this a known issue?

I play tons of ogg vorbis files and have never had this issue.  Just out of curiosity, what program/encoder did you use to make the problematic files?  That can always be an issue, especially with an open source codec such as ogg vorbis.

The more details you can give the better to pinpoint the root cause.

The files are encoded through the vorbis codec within gstreamer 0.10. I’ve never had a problem with these ogg files before on any other software/player. However, when I get home I’ll try encoding some with oggenc to see if that makes any difference.

Vorbis is the compression format (like mp3, wma, etc.)   oggenc and gstream are programs that invoke an encoder.  The 2 most commonly used vorbis encoders are xiph and aoTuV, either of which may or may not be the latest version.

I don’t know about Fuze, but some players have had trouble with very high or low Q values. 

If I remember correctly, the vorbis codec within gstreamer is fully spec compliant. It’s marked as a ‘good’ plugin at any rate, so I guess it’s as close to the standard oggenc as it can get. And the ogg vorbis files I’m trying to play aren’t at a high or low quality: they’re done at Q4.9.

@oneiris wrote:
If I remember correctly, the vorbis codec within gstreamer is fully spec compliant. It’s marked as a ‘good’ plugin at any rate, so I guess it’s as close to the standard oggenc as it can get. And the ogg vorbis files I’m trying to play aren’t at a high or low quality: they’re done at Q4.9.

That value shouldn’t present a problem, as I have used settings similar without any ill effects. All I can tell you is that I have 2 8 GB fuzes, and neither one produces that “bug” you describe.  Maybe some of the fellow ogg vorbis users here can chime in on the subject.

Yeah, I’d be interested if anyone else has the same problem. It’s happening on every single ogg, and doesn’t happen on the mp3s.

I use Ogg Vorbis exclusively on my Fuze, never had this happen in the short time I’ve owned it.

Ditto - I’ve only ever used 256kbit “quality 8” oggs  and never had any trouble. I’m using the 22F firmware.

Strange… I’ve tried it with files encoded with the normal oggenc program and I still get the same problem. Also, I’ve noticed that when an ogg file is playing and I try to change the volume when the backlight is off, it restarts playing the file.

Have you tried re-loading the firmware?  Were I you, I think I would do a soft reset, format the player, (make sure you back up your music and such first), and re-install the firmware.  Maybe it has a glitch in your player.

Thanks, reloading the firmware seems to have worked. Thanks for the help, everyone.