Bug report: Video related crash (on startup)

Hardware: 8GB Fuze (rev.1) + OEM 8GB MicroSD

Firmware: 1.02.26 (never notice the problem on previous firmware 1.02.22)

Condition: Shut down Fuze during a video playback, when turns back on, instead of going back to the video menu or resuming the video, it will show the video thumbview in music playback interface (showing the video as a music but unplayable). Pressing ‘home’ will go to the main menu but all the icon and background will not be displayed (all but the words). Any attempt to play other music will cause freeze. The only way to solve the issue is soft reset to turn off, than turn back on again (will show the ‘refreshing’ message and everything back to normal). Note, the video is stored on the MicroSD card, but I don’t think it is the card the causd the problem.

To avoid: Stop the video playback before shut down. It will go back to the video menu on next start up (like it suppose to) instead of showing the video in music playback interfac.

Yeah, i just experienced same issue like you. At least we know it’s only a firmware bug, and it will be fixed in the next firmware.

@clieos wrote:

Hardware: 8GB Fuze (rev.1) + OEM 8GB MicroSD

Firmware: 1.02.26 (never notice the problem on previous firmware 1.02.22)

Condition: Shut down Fuze during a video playback, when turns back on, instead of going back to the video menu or resuming the video, it will show the video thumbview in music playback interface (showing the video as a music but unplayable). Pressing ‘home’ will go to the main menu but all the icon and background will not be displayed (all but the words). Any attempt to play other music will cause freeze. The only way to solve the issue is soft reset to turn off, than turn back on again (will show the ‘refreshing’ message and everything back to normal). Note, the video is stored on the MicroSD card, but I don’t think it is the card the causd the problem.

To avoid: Stop the video playback before shut down. It will go back to the video menu on next start up (like it suppose to) instead of showing the video in music playback interfac.

as I’ve been trying to tell EVERYONE in the Sansa forums you **must** reformat the player using the FORMAT command on the FUZE, after you have updated to the new firmware to realize it’s new capabilities…ie: DB reinitalization to accept the new 8,000 song limits etc. I had almost the same problem as you re: video files freezing and thought it was a firmware bug. After reformatting my player…bug disappeared.
Message Edited by oobergeek on 04-13-2009 02:49 PM

Message Edited by oobergeek on 04-13-2009 02:50 PM

i am seeing the same issue even after format.

@drlucky wrote:
i am seeing the same issue even after format.

don’t know what to say…it may be a bug. Again I haven’t seen it since I reformatted my player.

I converted a hand full of 1/2 hour tv shows with smc and all is fine during playback. no crash here…now only if the smc would allow more setting adjustments for audio/video quality. everything I convert with smc ends up with the sound running slightly faster than the video so at first it looks right but as the vid plays on, the sound seperates from the video and by the end of a half hour show the sound is like 4 or 5 seconds ahead of the video. with other format converters I can adjust the sound if it ends up out of sync by settings in the program to slow the sound down enough to make the separation minimal…I tried an episode of SNL but about an hour in it was so off that it was unwatchable…yes I know it is just a bonus to have the video, but since it is there, I’d like to be able to use it! lol.

@truex wrote:
I converted a hand full of 1/2 hour tv shows with smc and all is fine during playback. no crash here…now only if the smc would allow more setting adjustments for audio/video quality. everything I convert with smc ends up with the sound running slightly faster than the video so at first it looks right but as the vid plays on, the sound seperates from the video and by the end of a half hour show the sound is like 4 or 5 seconds ahead of the video. with other format converters I can adjust the sound if it ends up out of sync by settings in the program to slow the sound down enough to make the separation minimal…I tried an episode of SNL but about an hour in it was so off that it was unwatchable…yes I know it is just a bonus to have the video, but since it is there, I’d like to be able to use it! lol.

I use MediaCoder for most of my converting, then run it through SMC. Haven’t had any A/V syncing problems so far.

First of, I already format my player right after I installed the firmware.

Second, the bug can be recreated with all videos (encoded by either SMC (latest) or WinAvi9), so I assume it is not due to format issue, wrong encoding process or currupted files.

As I said before, I never notice the problem on the older firmware (.22), so I assume it must be a bug with the new firmware.

Hey TrueX,

That is often caused with video formats before they go through SMC, you might try playing the original files.  I have noticed this with WMV files, but AVI hasn’t caused problems.  I don’t know about MPEG4… 

I don’t know why some people are having problems while others aren’t… I hope that Sansafix can enlighten us on when this issue will be resolved, along with the other bugs ("0"s for Audiobooks, Podcasts, etc.).

Good luck! 

I found the same issue, if the video is running when the device is shut down, you’ll get the funky screen.  A soft reset will restore the device, and it will refresh the database.

For the time being, simply stop the video and navigate to the “reel” video logo before shutting down.  Upon restart later, you can simply choose “resume” on the selected video.

µsansa

Just an update from me.  I have also experienced this issue.  Thanks for the response microsansa!

Same issue here. Freezing of the video when the Fuze is turned back on. Tried going back to main menu to resume but instead the video starts from the beginning. And yes, I did a reformat using the Fuze’s options menu after the latest update. 

Will wait for the next update. For now, I downgraded to firmware 2.01.17A

I have experienced same, excet that soft reset didn’t fix so I had to plug in to computer and delete file.  Not cool!