Best earbuds for under $20?

I asked before, but I’m getting new earbuds for sure now, the stock ones keep pissing me off and don’t fit comfortably. I’ve heard good things about skull candy, thoughts?

@shenanagins1091 wrote:
I asked before, but I’m getting new earbuds for sure now, the stock ones keep pissing me off and don’t fit comfortably. I’ve heard good things about skull candy, thoughts?

Skullcandy? well, they’re better than the stock buds…but in general, they ■■■■. This was me after I bought mine->

I asked some kid in my school if he likes them and he said they were great, and I’ve read a lot of positive reviews, so you’re going to have to say why you didn’t like them. They have good sound quality, decent noise reduction, and fit comfortably (so I’ve read).

I haven’t ever used skullcandies…you should use JVC Marshmallows, they’re good ones.

Message Edited by gabe565 on 01-18-2009 12:18 PM

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

I asked some kid in my school if he likes them and he said they were great, and I’ve read a lot of positive reviews, so you’re going to have to say why you didn’t like them. They have good sound quality, decent noise reduction, and fit comfortably (so I’ve read).

They have good noise reduction because you plug them right into your ear canal! The fit, can be comfortable once you find the right size tips from the included ones. Sound quality? More bass than the stock buds, probably because theyr’e stuck right in there. They are loud. But the Marshmallows that Gabe suggested are a much better option. Then again, I think it was you that said iPods sounded better than Sansas with the stock buds…and the stock ibuds are universally reviled…so we clearly have different ideas about sound quality. So I’ll say again that the Marshmallows are better and leave it at that

Is the bass really an issue if I adjust it with the custom EQ?

I just recently (2 days ago) tried the Skullcandy Ink’d buds in an effort to find a better alternative to the stock buds. Many people have recommended them. And I really don’t want to spend a fortune on something that can be damaged beyond repair so easily. I realize that you don’t get something for nothing, but I don’t think one should have to spend more on the earphones than they do on the player just to get decent sound out of it.

1.) Even though there are 3 sizes of silicone tips, I couldn’t find one that fit just right. I either had to jam a larger one in that was uncomfortable, or use the next smaller size that would be loose enough to fall out occasionally.

2.) Very cheap cord that I could not get all the bends out of. Seems the outer casing would bunch up in one spot.

3.) VERY heavy on bass. This may have to do (at least partly) with the fact that they completely seal the ear canal. With the stock buds, I have to lean pretty heavily on the lower frequencies in the Custom EQ to get the bass I want. With the Skullcandy buds, I instantly had to turn the EQ off (flat response) which was still bass-heavy, so then had to further reduce the lower frequencies and boost the upper in the Custom EQ to get a decent and semi-well balanced sound.

4.) This was the final straw or the ultimate deal-breaker for me, and it’s something inherent to the design of inner-ear type phones. Every touch or movement to the cord transmits to unpleasant noise heard through the phones. This would drive my nuts! If you’re old enough to remember, it’s like thumping or tapping on the side of a turntable while a record is playing. The noise is amplified through the speakers.

I’ve read where some brands of this style are ported to the outside, so this might be alleviated and outside sounds could also be heard. But I’d rather not have to order such a personal preference item on-line only to dis-like them and have to send them back, losing the shipping costs both directions just for the privilege of trying them out. No, I want to find some locally, so I can take them back if I don’t like them.

Which is what I promptly did the very next day.

Problem is, there are getting to be fewer and fewer local brick & mortar stores where you can find a decent selection now-a-days. I got these at Target. I also looked at Walmart; virtually nothing. Circuit City: same, very meager selection (and now they’ve announced they’re closing the doors on all stores and will be out of business in March).

I haven’t tried Radio Shack or Best Buy yet, but I’m not feeling optimistic.

Everyone has different opinions on this very controversial subject. It’s not only a sound issue, but they also have to fit or be comfortable to wear for extended periods of time (at least a couple hours at a shot). There have been millions of words written by thousands of people on various blogs & forums all over the net, but it all boils down to what YOU or I like. And you gotta try 'em to find out! :wink:

Well, if not skullcandy, then I’m getting these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0012UIJ9G/ref=ord\_cart\_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=API0ESPAS70OH&v=glance

Match my red Fuze. :P 

@shenanagins1091 wrote:
Is the bass really an issue if I adjust it with the custom EQ?

That was the theory behind Bose 901’s.  Gets to be a problem when you need 10x the amplifier just to make up for speakers having weak bass.

I use and have thoroughly enjoyed the JVC Air Cushions HA-FX66R:

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX66R-Air-Cushion-Headphones/dp/B000UNVNJY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232317045&sr=8-2

More than twenty bucks (I paid a little under $25), but totally worth it to me.

All the best.

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

Well, if not skullcandy, then I’m getting these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0012UIJ9G/ref=ord\_cart\_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=API0ESPAS70OH&v=glance

Match my red Fuze. :P 

I have 40% hearing loss, it only gets worse, I work in Radio, have played in Rock and Metal bands since I was 7. ALL I USE IS SKULLCANDY. I do have a set of $200 Shure IEMs for stage shows. But In the radio Studio Skull Candy TiTan IEM, Remote recevier (its how I hear realtime radio when I do a live remote) Skull Candy Ink’d, Sansa Products, Skull Candy Full Metal Jacket.  I swear by them. If they go under ever I will not know what to do. Try the Cany… you wont be sorry.

I love my Marshmallows, they have good balance between treble and bass naturally without any EQ. I’m not so sure about Skullcandy because I have heard more complaints than I have compliments, but you could always try them!

You could find useful options in the following link which lists some of the best earbuds that you can find.

Congratulations on resurrecting a five-year-old thread.

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-headphones-you-can-buy-under-20-1480550409