Highlighted

Being PUSHED into iPOD

Time to replace my bookshelf stereo.

I'm finding that most new units don't even play CD's,

but most DO have an iPOD dock.

It's too bad that SANZA socket isn't compatible with the iPOD.

But surely, they could come up with a $5 "adaptor plug"

that would enable SANZA to plug into iPOD docks.

If not... why not ?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Being PUSHED into iPOD

Because SanDisk would most likely have to pay royalty fees to the almighty Apple god

and probably have to charge you another $10 per player and $5 per adaptor.

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

My dearest mother happens to own an iPod Touch.  About 10 apps were bought and loaded on it . . . and she didn't buy them.  So she decided to contact Apple . . .

30 dollars to contact Apple!  I have called customer support for Sandisk for free.  I thought that was how it always worked.  That's outrageous!

The Saxmaster

"To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity."-Douglas Adams

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@baranick wrote:

If not... why not ?

Apple would sue anyone who made something like that out of existence.  

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Tapeworm wrote:

Because SanDisk would most likely have to pay royalty fees to the almighty Apple god

and probably have to charge you another $10 per player and $5 per adaptor.

You mean, this guy?

Smiley Wink

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 05:48 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@TomJensen wrote:

I don't think it's a licensing or litigation issue, since such an adapter won't be interfaced to an iPod, but to an iPod peripheral. Fine distinction, but an important one. Marketing may be tricky depending on how the iPod term is used.

I don't think that distinction matters at all.  The device's processor still has to implement the Apple accessory protocol which means that Apple will sue you out of existence if you try and sell it in the US or any other country with business friendly IP laws (basically all countries where you can buy sansas).  
Highlighted

One of my big problems with iPods (actually anything Apple) is that you never stop paying for your choice.  99 cents a song used to get you a song on iTunes, now they are $1.29 or something.  Who do you think gets the extra money, not the artist, but old Steve.

Apples' love for proprietary systems on all their products, makes them rich and to me says "we don't care about you, the customer, just keep spending money on our stuff".

Sorry for the rant, but once you go down the Apple path you may never come back.  
Highlighted
SanDisk User

I suspect that it is a liscencing issue, but not on Sansa's end.

The ipod and the sansas use the same physical connector.  It is theoretically possible to support both the ipod and the sansa on the same dock, with different assigning of the pins.

But it's my guess that you cannot get an approved for ipod stamp from apple if your machine also supports other dock connections.  My guess is that the limit is in the apple developer agreement.

Just a guess, sure.  

But it follows with other apple demands for exclusivity.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

LoisCatherine wrote:

But it follows with other apple demands for exclusivity.

Or monopoly.