Being PUSHED into iPOD

Time to replace my bookshelf stereo.

I’m finding that most new units don’t even play CD’s,

but most DO have an iPOD dock.

It’s too bad that SANZA socket isn’t compatible with the iPOD.

But surely, they could come up with a $5 “adaptor plug”

that would enable SANZA to plug into iPOD docks.

If not… why not ?

Because SanDisk would most likely have to pay royalty fees.

Because SanDisk would most likely have to pay royalty fees to the almighty Apple god

and probably have to charge you another $10 per player and $5 per adaptor.

My dearest mother happens to own an iPod Touch.  About 10 apps were bought and loaded on it . . . and she didn’t buy them.  So she decided to contact Apple . . .

30 dollars to contact Apple!  I have called customer support for Sandisk for free.  I thought that was how it always worked.  That’s outrageous!

@baranick wrote:

If not… why not ?

Apple would sue anyone who made something like that out of existence.  

Tapeworm wrote:

Because SanDisk would most likely have to pay royalty fees to the almighty Apple god

and probably have to charge you another $10 per player and $5 per adaptor.

You mean, this guy?

:wink:

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 05:48 PM

@tomjensen wrote:

I don’t think it’s a licensing or litigation issue, since such an adapter won’t be interfaced to an iPod, but to an iPod peripheral. Fine distinction, but an important one. Marketing may be tricky depending on how the iPod term is used.

I don’t think that distinction matters at all.  The device’s processor still has to implement the Apple accessory protocol which means that Apple will sue you out of existence if you try and sell it in the US or any other country with business friendly IP laws (basically all countries where you can buy sansas).  

One of my big problems with iPods (actually anything Apple) is that you never stop paying for your choice.  99 cents a song used to get you a song on iTunes, now they are $1.29 or something.  Who do you think gets the extra money, not the artist, but old Steve.

Apples’ love for proprietary systems on all their products, makes them rich and to me says “we don’t care about you, the customer, just keep spending money on our stuff”.

Sorry for the rant, but once you go down the Apple path you may never come back.  

I suspect that it is a liscencing issue, but not on Sansa’s end.

The ipod and the sansas use the same physical connector.  It is theoretically possible to support both the ipod and the sansa on the same dock, with different assigning of the pins.

But it’s my guess that you cannot get an approved for ipod stamp from apple if your machine also supports other dock connections.  My guess is that the limit is in the apple developer agreement.

Just a guess, sure.  

But it follows with other apple demands for exclusivity.

LoisCatherine wrote:

But it follows with other apple demands for exclusivity.

Or monopoly.

Anything that is compatible with the Apple dock connector standard will be subject to the whims of Apple.  They will demand a license agreement faster than you can log in to iTunes.  They relentlessly pursue it, simply poke around on the internet to see proof.

I think there’s a possible caption to that Steve Jobs “halo” picture.  It’s not a religious one as you may think.  I’ll bet he’s thinking of that new custom Gulfstream jet he now envisions for his collection.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

neutron_bob wrote:

I think there’s a possible caption to that Steve Jobs “halo” picture.  It’s not a religious one as you may think.  I’ll bet he’s thinking of that new custom Gulfstream jet he now envisions for his collection.

This reminds me of the flamboyent Liberace . . .

He used to love showing off his mink coats, gaudy rings and baubles to his audience at his live performances. He’d ask, “Do you like it? You should . . . you bought it!”

:smileyvery-happy:

You should visit the Off Typic section here and the discussion Am I the only one here who doesn’t like Ipod?

You’d find many people who agree.

And I also think that Apple wouldn’t allow anyone to have another player connec to the iPood’s connector, yes that monopoly issue they seem to have.  One former Fuze owner , who didn’t want to be bothered with anything more then “on/off” on their player and didn’t like that there wasn’t any accessories for Fuze went to an iPood.  I’m not suggesting that at all.  check out the Accessories For the Fuze - link here.

The Accessories section for more ideas.

Message Edited by Dalaug234 on 04-14-2010 03:48 PM

It’s a money thing. Why build a universally used plug when you can make the accessories specific to your product?

I have a feeling that the 3.5mm headphone jack has the possibility to solve all of (y)our problems…!

Then again, having accessories catered to EVERY sound system/mp3 (virtually every handheld music device out there) would be a smart biz move.

Hai Sandisk! Nice to have such a supportive company behind me and my products!