Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: Before buying: songs playing at a slower speed?

@blackdog-sansa wrote:

bungle:  The Clip has the same processor chip as the Fuze so it would make sense that the same issue would exist.

Clearly we are talking about two separate issues here:

2.  The 1% or 20 cents slower speed that appears to be generally true of these devices.  This is clearly not the same issue as no. 1.

Hmm, so you mean that's just the way they work? Because that would mean, my replacement wouldn't change anything...And I really think Meshuggah played with 1% slower speed is a disaster Smiley Wink

I also wonder, if this issue could be solved through firmware upgrade (but something tells me, it couldn't)

thanks

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

bungl wrote:

I also wonder, if this issue could be solved through firmware upgrade (but something tells me, it couldn't)

Might be. Rockbox has a 'pitch correction' adjustment, so it's possible it can be corrected via firmware, but as I'm not a software developer or programmer I'm just speculating.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

@Tapeworm wrote:

@bungl wrote:

Might be. Rockbox has a 'pitch correction' adjustment, so it's possible it can be corrected via firmware, but as I'm not a software developer or programmer I'm just speculating.

Yeah, I've read about it too, but it's still far away from being usable on v2...I'm not that kind of programmer, so I can only speculate as well...

My question was rather regarding sansa firmware. I wondered if THEY are going to solve this via firmware, because I love this little player. It's just this speed that drives me crazy.

It would be good to get an official word if this is a bug or a feature, because some people here claimed, that the slower playback is a common thing and one should get used to it. I hope they were joking - after all, it's a MUSIC player. I would understand, that some filetypes are not supported, or the quality is a bit lower etc., but in my view, a correct playback speed is essential... I would exepect this 1 thing from $5 mp3 player too. Or else sandisk should add a note on this extra feature in the official info:

* includes an innovative music playback feature - all your songs play 1% slower!

Doom Metal fans could have been interested, though Smiley Wink

Message Edited by bungl on 01-31-2009 01:59 PM
Message Edited by bungl on 01-31-2009 02:00 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Ha, Ha... I'm sorry but I find this thread quite amusing.  There are many playback devices that inherently play fast or slow, and at multiple times the cost of the fuze.

I have a $12,000 turntable at home that plays 1% fast, and that is the way the device was designed.  

If I have to have perfect speed or perfect pitch, I run my devices "live" through my sound laboratory software that corrects any problems "on the fly".

"Before I sink into the big sleep...I want to hear the scream of the Butterfly"
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@fuze_owner-GB wrote:

Ha, Ha... I'm sorry but I find this thread quite amusing.  There are many playback devices that inherently play fast or slow, and at multiple times the cost of the fuze.

I have a $12,000 turntable at home that plays 1% fast, and that is the way the device was designed.  

If I have to have perfect speed or perfect pitch, I run my devices "live" through my sound laboratory software that corrects any problems "on the fly".

I love me Some Pro Tools! Only method I've ever found to play perfect

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

Highlighted

Playing mp3 files from numerous sources including downloads from Amazon, rips from .wav files and CDs, swapped grey market files, home studio generated files ALL play fine on the following:

WinAmp or WMP on XP PC

CDeX

n-Track

Tascam DAW

CDR mp3CD

DVR mp3DVD

Sony NWZ-e438f

The same files ALL play slow and off pitch on the following:

Sansa Fuze

Sansa Clip

It shouldn't take a $12000 turntable to get reliable playback (and at that price, by the way, I wouldn't take 1%, either.)  When you spend your life loving and pursuing 'the sound,' you don't accept sub-standard reproduction.  If everyone accepts this type of fault, another nail in the coffin of art appreciation will be set.  Think of it as selecting a color of paint or fabric for your living environment and finding that the manufacturer has decided that they can alter it to simplify their offerings to you.

My advice:

Don't accept substitutions for the sound you expect.  Demand accurate reproduction.

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

@fuze_owner-GB wrote:

I agree, and I'm a musician.  Even live music isn't always the exact same speed or pitch for every session.

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

@Arranger wrote:

My advice:

Don't accept substitutions for the sound you expect.  Demand accurate reproduction.

From a pocket-sized device that cost less than $100?  Dream on.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

People like mp3Geek and Arranger have done serious testing and discovered a consistent defect. Other cheap mp3 players don't have that defect. It is really now up to SanDisk to remedy it. mp3's may never be "accurate" in reproducing all the nuances of timbre, but pitch and timing should be precise.

No one from SanDisk has yet responded to this serious problem. Now's the time. Hello? 

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@Black-Rectangle wrote:

People like mp3Geek and Arranger have done serious testing and discovered a consistent defect. Other cheap mp3 players don't have that defect. It is really now up to SanDisk to remedy it. mp3's may never be "accurate" in reproducing all the nuances of timbre, but pitch and timing should be precise.

No one from SanDisk has yet responded to this serious problem. Now's the time. Hello? 

You find me a pocket size player for less than $100 american and I will take them to the Recording studios were I work and have the owner (Trust me he is the best in the business) test them to see how accurate they are. Unfortunalty accuracy like Arranger wants is not possible in a player like this. Now if you wanna drop $1000 for a player yeah it better be on the ball, but for $60(What I paid for my Fuze) some speed or pitch difference is acceptable. And Also BTW how many thousands of people listen to the player and are happy and will never ever notice this "ISSUE" 90-95% if not more? If only 4 people think it is a really big problem is it a problem at all?

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base