Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Before buying: songs playing at a slower speed?

Im gonna take my fuze to work tomorrow, and use a pure mp3 file (never seen a computer other than  the one it was created on) in the studio and run it thru the crystal tuner, Then Ill use the same file on my fuze and run that thru the studio and the tuner. If my assumptions are correct I will get a difference so low most people wont be able to hear it. People like the arranger and myself and anybody who has a trained ear may hear it but those are unique cases. Like Ive said before I can only hear a difference on my own songs (placed on the fuze as mp3).

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Good work there.  If I had a Fuze I'd try it.  As I said my e200 appears to be spot on.

Doesn't help you yet, but if/when Rockbox is ready to run on Fuze, it has pitch-speed adjustment in 1/10 percent increments, plus running different software, so the problem may not exist at all.

Highlighted

Unfortunately, I have the 'curse.'  Also known as perfect pitch.  I used to tune pianos and without it, I would have been out of a job.  Tuning instruments requires a sense of pitch beyond what the average listener might perceive.  Anything less is unprofessional.

The Fuze is way off pitch-wise and if I play electronic keyboard against my own recorded electronic keyboard tracks that are transferred to the Fuze, it is ghastly.  Nobody would want to listed to that too long.  This is above the average human's perception threshold and virtually anyone would find listening in this way intolerable.

I'm realizing now that Sansa is catering to a wide amateur audience with this player and overall it is a very satisfying tool.  My applications are beyond what it was intended to do and it's dissappointing that such a simple consideration would have made it a pheonominal device.

Thank you, all for your very insightful posts and efforts.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@Arranger wrote:

Unfortunately, I have the 'curse.'  Also known as perfect pitch.  I used to tune pianos and without it, I would have been out of a job.  Tuning instruments requires a sense of pitch beyond what the average listener might perceive.  Anything less is unprofessional.

The Fuze is way off pitch-wise and if I play electronic keyboard against my own recorded electronic keyboard tracks that are transferred to the Fuze, it is ghastly.  Nobody would want to listed to that too long.  This is above the average human's perception threshold and virtually anyone would find listening in this way intolerable.

I'm realizing now that Sansa is catering to a wide amateur audience with this player and overall it is a very satisfying tool.  My applications are beyond what it was intended to do and it's dissappointing that such a simple consideration would have made it a pheonominal device.

Thank you, all for your very insightful posts and efforts.

I used to be perfect pitch (I lost the ability thanks to Vocal nodes and 40% hearing loss) So I know what you mean, and yes the fuze is geared for the novice. But For $85 what did you expect? If I wanted something I could carry on stage with me I would have spent 2 or 3 grand. I wanted something I could use for fun. I wanna put my tracks on it too but most of the time I listen for the pleasure of listening. This means I dont think about microscopic differences. Im listening to AC/DC as I type this, and its not in tune, but Im telling my self Bon Scott was jsut a little to drunk when they cut it. I can deal!

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

Highlighted
SanDisk User

I noticed this last night too, not on my Fuze, but on my E280.  At first I thought, gee, is my battery going dead? But no, this isn't a cassette player! and besides that I had 3/4 of a battery.

I was playing a high bitrate MP3 off a uSD card.  It was irritating . I'm going to try and copy it to my player and see if that makes a difference.

But don't let people tell you you're crazy.  This is definitely a problem with my E280, and could likely be a problem on your Fuze.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

I also have two Jensen SMP-1GBD MP3 players in the house. I bought them in a closeout sale for $9 each last month, and they are so bottom of the line that Jensen last I looked does not even admit to having produced them on their website. At that price I can afford to have one player per piece I am listening too - often audio books that are difficult to put back to the right spot. And one is for my 7 yo daughter. I am surprised hers has lasted the month without being lost or run through the washer.

So I put the test MP3 file that I mentioned earlier in this thread on that and used my Korg tuner to measure the pitch of the A440 test tone. Both players had the pitch dead on. So it is possible for a tiny cheap player to play in tune. These players physically make the Fuze look like an Elephant next to a mouse, and are smaller but similar shape to the USB memory key that I use with no visual display - just two buttons for control.

I also have an older MP3 player someplace around the house - but have not been able to find it in a week. I will test that too if I find it - it might be at the bottom of the washer.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Welp,

Mine's going back to whence it came.... a.k.a.  Radio Shack. I'm looking into the Cowan D2 or Sony Walkman.  I find no excuse for this oversight on Sandisk's part.  It's digitized music and I don't think I should have to accept it like some worn capstan on a tape deck, or a stretched turntable belt.  Smiley Indifferent

Message Edited by Arranger on 01-01-2009 07:58 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

@Arranger wrote:

Welp,

Mine's going back to whence it came.... a.k.a.  Radio Shack. I'm looking into the Cowan D2 or Sony Walkman.  I find no excuse for this oversight on Sandisk's part.  It's digitized music and I don't think I should have to accept it like some worn capstan on a tape deck, or a stretched turntable belt.  Smiley Indifferent

Message Edited by Arranger on 01-01-2009 07:58 PM

I already took one other brand of MP3 player back to Best Buy in shreadded packaging, and I have grown rather fond of this one. I plan to wait till next week when hopefully someone from SanDisk will comment on the issue and the likelyhood of it being fixed. Most consumer electronics these days appears to be shipped with software that is not yet ready for prime time.

It would help if before you return yours you make a similar series of measurements. Being a musician I expect you have a couple tuners around the house, and it is very trivial with a tuner and a recording of any long sustained note to make a quantitative measurement of the pitch.

Message Edited by Mp3Geek on 01-01-2009 06:46 PM
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
I just purchased my Fuze on last Saturday. This problem occurred for the first time earlier tonight. A file that I recorded off of the FM radio began playing at what about 1/2-1/3 of the normal speed. It stopped for a few seconds after I adjusted my volume. I had a Sansa c200, and the file played just fine on there. Never any defects or problems. I don't know why it would begin now.
Message Edited by allycat89 on 01-01-2009 09:44 PM
Highlighted

Well, problem solved.  I bought a Sony Walkman 8GB for $99 today at BeastBuy.  NWZ-E38F.  AnythingButIPod.com rates these well.

Pitch and cadence are precisely matched with my PC and instruments on all songs from start to finish.   Sorry to see the Fuze go.  I miss the rubber backing.