Highlighted

Before buying: songs playing at a slower speed?

Hi, I'm very interested in the Sansa Fuze, it looks like the best player for me (especially being able to play .ogg files) and I need a new one. However, I've read in some customer reviews that the Fuze seems to play music at a slightly slower speed than normal, altering the tone a bit. The problem is also mentioned in this thread:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=11438

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Before buying: songs playing at a slower speed?

A couple of people have reported this. There's also been a couple saying the same thing on the Clip board. I would say it is NOT indicative of the entire line as only a few people have said anything about it. If this were a major design flaw we certainly would hear much more about it than we do here.

I would consider this an isolated or occasional defect and if you get one that does this, return it and get another one. There's only been less than a hand-ful of posters claiming this out of literally hundreds (or more) of satisfied customers. Many even have more than one. Smiley Wink

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Malcom

I have never heard of this being a continual problem with ALL files for anyone here.

Personally I have had problems with certain files that I have ripped myself.

I saw one other user on here report the same thing.

The files played fine on a Sansa e200 series but for some reason the Fuze has some sensitivities.

The files just played extremely slowly.  About 1/4 speed.  REAL slow.  And the time notation fir the file would go from, say, 7:00 for a song to 35 or 40 minutes!

Sansafix (on this forum) did some analysis of one of my bad tracks.

He said there was some "garbage" in the file at the beginning.

What I did was to open in a sound-editing software (NCH WavePad free version) and resave tp mp3 file with the (CRC?) Error Correcting turned on.  That did the trick.

The new .24 firmware release is supposed to have solved this issue.

this is a very minor issue.  don't let it stop you from considering the Fuze.  They are great!

Highlighted

Thanks to both of you, you've been extremely helpful in clarifying this. I wouldn't mind some minor glitches, but playing music slower than it's supposed to be sounded like a terrible flaw. I've been looking for an ogg-compatible player for a while and the Fuze looks like the best option. Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Songs on my Fuze actually do play just noticably slower than on my PC.  I have a very accurate internal clock, as a musician.  I can count to 60 while watching a digital clock and it will repeatedly change just as I hit the minute mark - minute after minute.

When I first started listening to tunes on my new Fuze, I thought tracks were slightly slow.  I played them simultaneously against PC tracks and noticed that the Fuze would lose time.  It's about 1 second behind the true track length after about 3 minutes.

I considered taking it back, but I love the thing.  So, I'll live with it.

It is certainly a design flaw.  Digital accuracy should be much more reliable than this device.

Highlighted

Thank you, Arranger - that's exactly what I wanted to know. It's quite a big flaw, in my opinion. I don't care so much about video, photos and other features; if I'm buying a music player I want music playback to be as close to perfect as possible. Too bad, because for everything else the Fuze looks like it was designed for me.
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Interesting, I had never heard this before.

Seriously, for a light-duty portable music player, being off by one second in 3 minutes is a serious issue for you?

We're not talking about a 10 grand Band & Olufsen system here.

How do you know that Windows Media Player on your computer represents and accurate standard anyway.

I bet if you started a CD on a $1000 Denon player and your computer at the same time, there would be more than a one second difference between the two after 3 minutes.

Highlighted

blackdog-sansa: it's true it can't be completely accurate. However, out of curiosity I've just tested the same thing on an old Samsung YP-U2 (a cheap player from 2 years ago) and it didn't lose even one second in over 4 minutes, while the same tracks were playing on the computer (in this case, using Rhythmbox on Ubuntu). Whatever it did lose (or gain), it wasn't noticeable - and that's exactly how it should be, not noticeable.

Now, even assuming that both my computer and this little player aren't perfectly accurate (and they surely aren't) I also tested it with a CD on a stand-alone stereo system, and still no noticeable difference. None of them is accurate, and repeating the tests on longer playing times, I bet there'd be some difference. But 1 second in 3 minutes just seems too much.

Like I said earlier, too bad - because the Fuze deserves all the success it's having, and I was looking forward to buying one. The alternatives don't look very good to me.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Like I said before, you can't assume that ALL Fuzes play slower because fewer that 6 people on this forum have claimed that theirs do. There are thousands, probably more like millions who are satisfied. Personally, I have 5 different Sansa models and have not noticed this at all on any of them. And yes, one of them is a Fuze.

So judging an entire product line on a few samples is a bit short-sighted. As previously suggested, you have nothing to lose by trying it. In fact, you yourself haven't tried it yet. You are basing your entire opinion on the writings of a very few people, none of which you know anything about, or the situations surrounding their results (file type, bit-rate, source, etc.).

Try it for yourself! If it does not live up to your expectations, then by all means, as Ron Popeil said on ALL of his infommercials, "Return it and DO get your money back!"

Highlighted

The fact that only a handful of people here have reported this problem is irrelevant - this defect, if it really is there, is subtler than other bugs/difficulties users may experience: most of those who've noticed it seem to be musicians. And I'm not. Smiley Happy

That said, you're absolutely right: I haven't tried the Fuze. But I'm looking around, I want to buy a new portable music player, I do not mean to judge this or that model. I read reviews, and try to form an opinion, just like most other customers do. When I read about this, I thought it'd be better to ask here: I still think it was the right thing to do.

You're right, I can buy it and then take it back if I'm not satisfied, but normally people try to make the right choice immediately, not taking this kind of trial and error approach. Smiley Wink

I try to listen to what everyone says. And I might still buy the Fuze, as nothing else really seems to be as good in the same price range, especially thinking about its interface (why's everyone else going for touch-sensitive interfaces, for example?).

"My Fuze plays everything slower" is a reply that will interest me. "Your Fuze must be defective, because mine plays everything perfectly" is another reply that'll interest me. Replies such as "no player is that accurate anyway so it really isn't a big defect" don't help, though I know that who wrote it was trying to be useful - but it only made me check if what I own has the same inaccuracy, and report back.

Now, I've gone through way too many reviews, so maybe I'll follow your advice, buy a Fuze and see if it's true or not. See you soon, hopefully with a perfect sounding Fuze. Smiley Happy