Before buying: songs playing at a slower speed?

I’ve spent my life (all 50 years of it, anyway) surrounded by top music professionals.  With myself, many of my international orchestra colleagues have watched music go from acetate discs to stamped vinyl to tape to CD to data streams.

All - every one - of my 900+ mp3s play slow and off pitch on the Fuze.  Again, they have come to me from countless odd sources.  They’re all off.

If I or any one of my colleagues played that far off pitch and speed they’d be fired in a minute.  When you practice a song over and over thousands of times, you own it and nothing will match the cadence and pitch that exists in your embedded mind.  You can be ‘close’ and find it acceptable, but the Fuze (mine anyway) isn’t so.  Any musician worth his/her ear will hear the defect on this particular Fuze.  If others have not heard it on their own players, then there is a variation to the defect that is not present in all Fuze players.

Digital replication should be extremely accurate.  That’s about the only thing going for it, because the medium and compressed formats already strip most tracks of their real souls.

When music is reproduced the way the artists intend for it to be, the public is treated to something special.  When the reproduction is compromised, the public has been cheated of that very special thing.  Consider viewing a reproduction of the Mona Lisa under fluorescent illumination through a telescope.  That’s not the real thing and it becomes difficult to appreciate its beauty.

Message Edited by Arranger on 02-15-2009 05:01 PM