Before buying: songs playing at a slower speed?

@jkj1962 wrote:

@donp wrote:

[snipped for space]

My turntable has the same setup, and the fact that you have to adjust the turntable should tell you something.  As far as that goes, if the strobe is based on the frequency of the 60 Hz AC line, which is probably is a little orange neon, you’re off as well.  It has variance, too.  If it varies, so does your speed.

Grid power is really pretty consistent. Here’s a sample recording and analysis from a web site for time geeks (I don’t know where this guy lives): 60 Hz AC Mains Frequency Accuracy Measurement In his measurements the worst case over a couple of months (and not often) looks like 0.05 Hz

IMHO, as with the others, your samples are to small to be of any significance.  One unit out of millions is negligible.  Your tests supposedly “proved” Sandisk players play fast , whereas someone else “proved” they play slow.  Good job. 

The post I was addressing was yours that said “The level of precision they are demanding doesn’t exist in consumer electronics,”

which seems to indicate that the reported speed error in Fuzes (Clip in my case) are inescapably the norm for consumer electronics.  My measurement of hte Clip was in the same error range (though fast instead of slow) as the others that you said should be expected.  

My point was that the 5 other players I tested were all at least 20x tighter tolerance on pitch which SEEMS to indicate that it is the norm in consumer electronics.  

For myself, I wouldn’t notice a 1% pitch difference unless I was trying to play along with an insrument that isn’t readily retuned (ie piano)

Message Edited by donp on 02-01-2009 05:46 PM

Message Edited by donp on 02-01-2009 06:09 PM

Message Edited by donp on 02-01-2009 06:09 PM