Audiobooks, resume feature, and Ch.Mode

>> Fuze is much superior to e200 with Audiobooks.

I’ll go a step farther than this and say that the Fuze (and the Clip) are one of the best audiobook players around.  Not THE best but they’re sure going in that directy.

I’ve been an avid audiobook listener for over 25 years and I’ve been listening with MP3 players for over 10 years.  I currently own enough players that I’m embarassed to say how many.  I’m always looking for the perfect one for book listening.  Sansa is showing real promise of trying to get there.

Here are my suggestions, although I suspect you’re already aware of them.  Add bookmarks!  Resume is not the same thing.  A bookmark lets you mark a place to come back to, even within the current file.  Resume is important but there’s only so much it will do.  If I can easily set bookmarks they let me mark where I am if I’m laying in bed in case I fall asleep and the player plays on.  The last bookmark (or THE bookmark if I can only set one) tells me just about where I was before I drifted off.  This is very important for audiobook listening in bed!

Bookmarks also serve as a backup when I lose my resume point, which happens if I don’t press the button just right or if I get distracted and forget to release it.

Your plan to include the file within the book as well as the place within the file in the resume feature is a good one.  Thanks for thinking of that.  I can live without it but it would be very nice to have.

Don’t mess with the accelleration on your fast forward and rewind…it accellerates little fast but it’s very usable and a little fast is way better than a little slow.  User settable would be nice but no big deal.  It works good now.

You guys are very close right now but you’re not quite there.  Please make the Fuze the perfect one. :slight_smile:

By the way, your two main competitors, the Cowon D2 and the Creative Zen X-Fi, are just as flawed.  Their resume is less reliable than yours.  The X-Fi has to be on hold to keep the light from cutting battery life in half and that’s a pain when you’re always rewinding to hear something again.  They also only resume on the current file, not on a set of files.  The D2 would be perfect if it didn’t have that clumsy touch screen that I was always hitting by accident and losing my place.  But they do both have bookmarks (the single most important feature for audiobooks) and just about everything else.

You guys are neck and neck at the moment but I think you have less to fix to get it right and if you do get it right, your player has the best feel in my hand.  Here’s hoping!

Barry