Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Audiobooks, resume feature, and Ch.Mode

@sansafix wrote:

We are working on a resume the current segment capability.

Thank you a thousand times over!  That's great news!

Highlighted

Sorry if over 6 months of frustration with little or no help from SanDisk shows thru. 

Now, did anyone pass the detailed description of how the software actually works and how it should work along to the guys who did it wrong the first time and are now making another try?

Highlighted
SanDisk User

The bookmarking feature (lack of) has been a long-term problem for Sandisk players.  As an E200 user, I can very much see the point of the user "rant," and have no sympathy with the developer or the tech support person who believes the needs of "developers" to not have to listen to "rants" outweighs the needs of paying customers who actually bought an inferior product.

Costco is having a sale on Sansa Fuze this 2008 black Friday, and I thought I'd come and see if Fuze is handling bookmarks better than the E200 series.  Apparently Sansa's strategy is to put those pain in the ass customers on "ignore" rather than address the problem.

Because of that, I'll try a different brand...

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Fuze is much superior to e200 with Audiobooks.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

They may work better with the Audible format.  I don't know, since I don't use Audible.  However, judging by the complaints people have in using other audiobook formats, I'd say "much superior" is an exageration.   
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

[ Edited ]

@MyDD wrote:
They may work better with the Audible format.  I don't know, since I don't use Audible.  However, judging by the complaints people have in using other audiobook formats, I'd say "much superior" is an exageration.   

I'm going to have to agree.  I used a 200v2 before the Fuze.  To my mind, they operate exactly the same in regards to Audible.  I couldn't tell you a single difference between the two.

Oh wait, yes I can, my 200v2 still works with Audible but my Fuze (with the last firmware "up"grade) does not.

Interesting definition of "superior", don't you think?

Message Edited by jfencl on 11-18-2008 01:11 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

e200 does not offer Resume feature of non Audible Audiobooks.  Fuze offers automatic  (passive) bookmarking of audiobook and podcast content.

Fuze has a problem with Audiobook contents on the external card currently,  which will be fixed in the next release.  You can use internal card for Audible content for now.

For Netlibrary content,  if you stop the audiobook and listen to the radio or music,  you can come back to the book at the exact position you left with Fuze.

For Overdrive,  the Audiobook is broken into several chapters,  currently the Fuze does not remember which chapter you were in,  but it remembers the seek position within each chapter.

We will enhance the Fuze to remember which Overdrive chapter you were in when you left the book.

e200 groups audiobooks under the music library,  Fuze has a separate section for Audiobooks.  If you play/ shuffle all with e200 it will mix in Audiobooks with music. Fuze does not.

I think Fuze is far superior for Audiobooks,  especially if you mix Audiobooks and Music on the player and like to put down a book to do other things, then resume..

Message Edited by sansafix on 11-18-2008 03:34 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

...don't forget that the Fuze does the chicken dance with Audible Format 3 (64KB/s) too.  Format 4 (128KB/s) is the only format that runs properly on the Fuze.  At that file size, a nice piano black 8GB looks like the hot ticket.

The e200v2 is still happy with Format 3 and the µSD card.

I am hopeful that a future update to the Fuze will include displaying an asterisk, or a different size FONT, or a different color, or a highlight - for the active file.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

>> Fuze is much superior to e200 with Audiobooks.

I'll go a step farther than this and say that the Fuze (and the Clip) are one of the best audiobook players around.  Not THE best but they're sure going in that directy.

I've been an avid audiobook listener for over 25 years and I've been listening with MP3 players for over 10 years.  I currently own enough players that I'm embarassed to say how many.  I'm always looking for the perfect one for book listening.  Sansa is showing real promise of trying to get there.

Here are my suggestions, although I suspect you're already aware of them.  Add bookmarks!  Resume is not the same thing.  A bookmark lets you mark a place to come back to, even within the current file.  Resume is important but there's only so much it will do.  If I can easily set bookmarks they let me mark where I am if I'm laying in bed in case I fall asleep and the player plays on.  The last bookmark (or THE bookmark if I can only set one) tells me just about where I was before I drifted off.  This is very important for audiobook listening in bed!

Bookmarks also serve as a backup when I lose my resume point, which happens if I don't press the button just right or if I get distracted and forget to release it.

Your plan to include the file within the book as well as the place within the file in the resume feature is a good one.  Thanks for thinking of that.  I can live without it but it would be very nice to have.

Don't mess with the accelleration on your fast forward and rewind....it accellerates little fast but it's very usable and a little fast is way better than a little slow.  User settable would be nice but no big deal.  It works good now.

You guys are very close right now but you're not quite there.  Please make the Fuze the perfect one. Smiley Happy

By the way, your two main competitors, the Cowon D2 and the Creative Zen X-Fi, are just as flawed.  Their resume is less reliable than yours.  The X-Fi has to be on hold to keep the light from cutting battery life in half and that's a pain when you're always rewinding to hear something again.  They also only resume on the current file, not on a set of files.  The D2 would be perfect if it didn't have that clumsy touch screen that I was always hitting by accident and losing my place.  But they do both have bookmarks (the single most important feature for audiobooks) and just about everything else.

You guys are neck and neck at the moment but I think you have less to fix to get it right and if you do get it right, your player has the best feel in my hand.  Here's hoping!

Barry

Highlighted

I am considering purchasing a Sansa fuze, however I wanted to know if you are expecting to have Bookmarks with your next firmare update, and if so when will that be?

thanks