Are there good places to get free audio books?

Just to clear my mind, if I go to the library website and download a drm’d wma file, then transfer it to my Fuse, it will play fine?

Message Edited by kmoffat on 01-04-2009 02:53 PM

I dont know about NH or your local library but I know some big cities libraries even offer delivery “Netflix Style” I dont know what the biggest city in NH is but try that library on line.

If it is DRM Crippled I doubt it will work but try it anyhow (If tis free) and see if it works.

@kmoffat wrote:
Just to clear my mind, if I go to the library website and download a drm’d wma file, then transfer it to my Fuse, it will play fine?

Dependent on you properly loading it according to how that library’s site works, then “yes.”

The Fuze plays DRM’d WMAs (and of course unprotected MP3s).

You’ll have to ensure it is deposited in your player’s “Audiobooks” directory in order to get proper resume functioning.

OverDrive Media library audiobooks require you to install their OverDrive Media Console PC application. When you download from your library, The OM Console app opens. You also use that app to transfer to the player (and in some intermediate step, click “Advanced Options” which allows you to change the target directory from “\Music” to “\Audiobooks” ).

For NetLibrary, the procedure will be different. I don’t have access to NetLibrary, so if that’s your library’s source of audiobooks, you’ll have to search these forums for more details, if following your library’s instructions didn’t work.

Message Edited by jj2me on 01-05-2009 11:17 AM

@shlurpee wrote:
 I live in a pretty small place, <100,000 ppl and they have 100’s if not thousands of books on CD’s.

Ha.  If you added up the biggest 5 cities in my state it might get to 100,000 people.  Still, mine at pop 15000 has several racks of CD books in the library.

Emusic.com has a pretty good selection (mp3, no DRM) and you can get one on a free trial before you have to start paying. 

I believe NetLibrary requires you to use Windows Media Player to sync.  I don’t know of any other way to copy in the DRM.  I’ve tried just dragging and dropping and the DRM doesn’t come.

I just recently purchased my fuze and love it.  This website sounds like it has alot to offer.  I’ve been wanting to try the audiobook feature on my fuze and it looks like a good place to start.

Overdrive Console works great and you don’t even need to use MTP mode.

Netlibrary does require WMP11 to sync the licenses.

Both are available at my public library and all the content is free.

You may sometimes need to wait until a title is “checked back in” by another user.

The best free Audiobook place of them all:

Podiobooks

I hghly reccommend Nathan Lowell’s books (all of them) and for a rollicking good ride try J C Hutchin’s 7th Son series.

Thanks. I grabbed overdrive and am able to download WMA audiobooks from my county library and transfer them to my Fuse. They play fine.

@badcam wrote:

The best free Audiobook place of them all:

Podiobooks

I hghly reccommend Nathan Lowell’s books (all of them) and for a rollicking good ride try J C Hutchin’s 7th Son series.

Thanks for that link.  Looks like some interesting books.

I’ve actually never listened to an audiobook. Maybe I should give it a try one of these days.

You don’t know what your missing out. You’ll be very surprised about the quality of those on Podiobooks.

Both in great story telling and Audio Quality. Free is good.

They don’t require MTP mode do they?

Not at all. You can either right click and download each file as an .mp3 or login and subscribe to an RSS feed for each one.

You can choose how you wish for each episode to be released (1 per day, week, all now etc.).

I use www.ziepod.com Ziepod free version to download them. It’s a fantastic little programme.

Just drag and drop after that. You shouldn’t need to use MP3tag to sort them. I’ve found them to play in the correct order every time.

@marvin_martian wrote:
I’ve actually never listened to an audiobook. Maybe I should give it a try one of these days.

I really enjoy it.  Try one of the free sites listed here to give it a try.

I knew  lady who walked for exercise and listened to them (I needed music to keep me going).  I like them on my commute sometimes (or podcasts or music) or when I’m doing other things.

@badcam wrote:

You don’t know what your missing out. You’ll be very surprised about the quality of those on Podiobooks.

Both in great story telling and Audio Quality. Free is good.

Thanks so much for this link!  I recommend this to everyone.  I’ve been listening to “Infected” by Scott Sigler, and it’s a great read/listen.  If you’re a fan of horror, I highly recommend it - kind of a mix between 28 Days Later and Aliens.

@polloloco wrote:

Thanks so much for this link!  I recommend this to everyone.  I’ve been listening to “Infected” by Scott Sigler, and it’s a great read/listen.  If you’re a fan of horror, I highly recommend it - kind of a mix between 28 Days Later and Aliens.

Excellent. Another convert. I’m really pleased.

There are HOURS and HOURS of great free stories there. Enjoy. Scott’s sequel Contaigious is brilliant as well.THere are so many good ones there. I’d be happy to reccommend some good ones if you’d like, but really you can’t go wrong with most of them.

there are many online website available which offer Free Audiobooks. These website monstly offer both streaming and downloading options with the audiobook. the popular among these sites includes. Archive.org, Audiobookslab.com/ you will be able to find all the most commenly read books here.

The Best Audiobook Reference,you can listen Best Audiobooks Of All Time