SanDisk Fanatic

Are there good places to get free audio books?

I think I would like to try them if i can find some for free to see if I like that format. I'm not a reader. I never was. My type of a good read is a manual of some type or how to, something that I learn with. I seem to get lost when reading a story. I always want to be doing something else. But thinking about it depending on type of audio book it could be interesting to hear a story in that format.. I am a typical 51 yer old male if that helps..  Thanks! George
*His* 8GB Silver Fuze v01.02.31A also 8GB MicroSDHC card installed *Hers* 4GB red Fuze with 16GB micro SDHC card! Firmware v01.02.31A still installed. Acquired another 8GB Fuze also with firmware v01.02.31A now..
Highlighted

Re: Are there good places to get free audio books?

Check out Librivox, they have some there.

http://librivox.org/about-librivox/

Also Legaltorrents.com has some audiobooks in the public domain also:

http://beta.legaltorrents.com/
SanDisk Fanatic

Hey, Thanks! I'll check them out!  George
*His* 8GB Silver Fuze v01.02.31A also 8GB MicroSDHC card installed *Hers* 4GB red Fuze with 16GB micro SDHC card! Firmware v01.02.31A still installed. Acquired another 8GB Fuze also with firmware v01.02.31A now..
SanDisk User

YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY IS A GOOD PLACE , YOU CAN GET INFORMATION FROM THE LIBRARY WEBSITE !!!
SanDisk Fanatic

nikkona,

Wow great thought!  I live in the sticks in NH but will stop by my local library and see what they offer..Not sure if they have a website but will look! Thanks! George

SanDisk User

Having two little kids I frequent the local library more than most and I can say for sure that most if not all libraries have a pretty extensive audio/visual section.  I live in a pretty small place, <100,000 ppl and they have 100's if not thousands of books on CD's.  I don't know the legalness behind it but I am sure it would be pretty easy to rip those CD's into MP3 files.  Infact, I spent the summer in Kansas City and their city library had a download section where you could download an audiobook for 30 days, after 30 days it would stop working.  It was free to download and they had thousands of titles.
SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]

Yes, as said above, there are several free options.

- if supported by your local library: DRM'd WMA* audiobooks from NetLibrary.

- if supported by your local library: DRM'd WMA* audiobooks from OverDrive Media.  You can check for yourself here, on the right under "SEARCH LIBRARIES".

- MP3 files ripped from local library CDs or cassettes.

- Project Gutenberg has many classics in audiobook form, some with human readers.

- Serialized Podiobooks.

- Sites that I've never used, but had in my bookmarks here and here and here and here.

- A Custom Google Search.

Here is someone's blog about free audiobooks.

*The Fuze, Clip, Connect, e100-series, e-200-series (when set to MTP/PlaysForSure) m200-series all play NetLibrary or OverDrive Media audiobooks. It's PlaysForSure compatibility that you want (PlaysForSure = MTP + some little something else), which is supported by most Sandisk, Creative, Samsung, Cowon, Rio players, but not iPod nor Zune.

Message Edited by jj2me on 09-15-2008 12:37 PM
SanDisk Professor

@tmcarson1 wrote:

Check out Librivox, they have some there.

http://librivox.org/about-librivox/

I use Librivox.  They are the older, classics that are past copywright and were never renewed.  Most have various readers, and some are okay, as they are volunteer.  But I like them.

I haven't tried my library yet as I have several I want to listen to still!

SanDisk User

The Internet Archive website offers every kind of media for free. I often download old radio shows from them and put them in the Fuze. Our neighbor's kids uses this site as a source for children's books. There are videos, international books and audio files, tv shows, etc. Try it out here: http://www.archive.org/details/audio There is absolutely no charge for any files and the site welcomes uploads, too.

[ Edited ]
Just to clear my mind, if I go to the library website and download a drm'd wma file, then transfer it to my Fuse, it will play fine?
Message Edited by kmoffat on 01-04-2009 02:53 PM